Tips on Tank Maintenance/Cleaning a Cycled Tank w/o Creating a mini-cycle

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by swenster, Jul 16, 2015.

1. swenster

swenster Valued Member Member

Hi,

I couldn't find a link on this. I am just looking for tips on how to clean my 5 gallon tank that is cycled., and avoiding a mini-cycle. I have read that it is good to clean 1/3 gravel at a time. What about rinsing off ornaments/fake plants in aquarium water? Can I do this now, or should I only do one at a time? (e.g., I have 3 ornaments, cleaning only one?) It's time for a water change/cleaning, and I just want to do it right and not have to re-cycle my tank. I know I should change about 10-20% water, right?

Thanks for any tips!

Best, Alanna

2. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

If you have a filter then you shouldnt worry about re-cycling unless the filter media dries out. Personally I would change 50% of you r water, no less. You can gravel vac if you want to. Some people do this weekly, others do it bi-weekly or however if works best for them. Removing mulm from the gravel and cleaning decorations will not break your cycle assuming you have a filter.

3. OP
    OP
    swenster

Okay, yes. I have an HOB filter. Thanks for the advice!

4. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

I don't think the frequency of cleaning off your fake plants should have any significant effect.

5. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

Hi Swenster - what is the stock of fish in the 5 gallon? 50% seems too large of a water change to me. I would start smaller, around 20%. Depending on how fast your gravel vac is, you might be able to vac most of the gravel without taking out more than 20%. Just vac as much as you can and stop when you think you've removed about 1 - 1.5 gallons. As long as your nitrates are staying fairly low, then smaller water changes are fine.

6. OP
    OP
    swenster

Hi, thank you. I only have 1 betta in my 5 gallon tank. I tested the water parameters this am. These levels have stayed the same since my tank cycled last week.

ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 5.0 ppm

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice