Status
Not open for further replies.

swenster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi,

I couldn't find a link on this. I am just looking for tips on how to clean my 5 gallon tank that is cycled., and avoiding a mini-cycle. I have read that it is good to clean 1/3 gravel at a time. What about rinsing off ornaments/fake plants in aquarium water? Can I do this now, or should I only do one at a time? (e.g., I have 3 ornaments, cleaning only one?) It's time for a water change/cleaning, and I just want to do it right and not have to re-cycle my tank. I know I should change about 10-20% water, right?

Thanks for any tips!

Best, Alanna

Nympxzie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you have a filter then you shouldnt worry about re-cycling unless the filter media dries out. Personally I would change 50% of you r water, no less. You can gravel vac if you want to. Some people do this weekly, others do it bi-weekly or however if works best for them. Removing mulm from the gravel and cleaning decorations will not break your cycle assuming you have a filter.

swenster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, yes. I have an HOB filter. Thanks for the advice!

Gvilleguy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Swenster - what is the stock of fish in the 5 gallon? 50% seems too large of a water change to me. I would start smaller, around 20%. Depending on how fast your gravel vac is, you might be able to vac most of the gravel without taking out more than 20%. Just vac as much as you can and stop when you think you've removed about 1 - 1.5 gallons. As long as your nitrates are staying fairly low, then smaller water changes are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 39 63.9%

Top Bottom