Tips on switching over from a 20 gallon high to 37 gallon

jiorio1216

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am looking to move over from my current 20 gallon high to a 37 gallon. I just feel like this 20 gallon does not provide me adequate room for the stock I want. Also, I just got my panda Cories and I feel like they would do much better on sand. My question is...what is the best way to transition so that I don’t lose a cycle? I have a top fin 20 and bacto sponge filter....would I set the tank up with everything....and then put both filters in the new 37 gallon for instant cycle? I know the cycle needs the fish ammonia to stay alive, so would I move all the fish instantly? I also don’t want to lose my plants...would I be able to put them in so that they are there for the fish...or just buy new ones? I guess I am simply asking for the most efficient process for this. I don’t think I want to move the boat over, as I feel like it takes away from where the Cories can roam...although they do love it as a hide out. Any tips on a move over would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much. Goes without saying that my 20 gallon high is completely cycled for about a month now.

Attachments

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Here's my take on it.....

I had to do something similar, where I transferred the complete stocking of a 75g over to a 65g. I set up the 65g with some cycled media in the filters, moved over the sponge filter, matched the water temp, then finally started netting all the fish and dropping them all in to the new tank. They all lived.

I had the luxury though of being able to set up the new tank and get it running while the 75g was still running as well.

As for your situation, it sounds like the new 37g is taking the place of the 20g. I would suggest to move the fish into a couple of 5g buckets, then break down the 20g and set up the new tank. Transfer over the filters, plants and decor.

Personally I would remove the substrate, rinse it and put it in the new tank already cleaned, but that would be up to you.

Refill the new tank with temp matched water so you dont have to wait for heater to warm it up.

Then move over all the fish at once.

At most, you may have to do a water change a bit sooner than usually, but I think if you plan it out, then everything will go smoothly.

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Simple.
Setup the new tank, with fresh water, and all decorations, and the new sand.
Then put the media from your old filter into the new one. Get it running on the new tank, put fish in last, and your done.
Dont forget to add Prime if you have it.

OP
jiorio1216

jiorio1216

Reaction score
Islandvic said:

I had to do something similar, where I transferred the complete stocking of a 75g over to a 65g. I set up the 65g with some cycled media in the filters, moved over the sponge filter, matched the water temp, then finally started netting all the fish and dropping them all in to the new tank. They all lived.

I had the luxury though of being able to set up the new tank and get it running while the 75g was still running as well.

As for your situation, it sounds like the new 37g is taking the place of the 20g. I would suggest to move the fish into a couple of 5g buckets, then break down the 20g and set up the new tank. Transfer over the filters, plants and decor.

Personally I would remove the substrate, rinse it and put it in the new tank already cleaned, but that would be up to you.

Refill the new tank with temp matched water so you dont have to wait for heater to warm it up.

At most, you may have to do a water change a bit sooner than usually, but I think if you plan it out, then everything will go smoothly.
Thanks for this abundance of info. I have had a bit of an emergency in the past hour, coming to the realization that my danios have been doing a number on all of my fishes fins. The plan is to get a new tank, but keep the danios in the 20 gallon. I am thinking of putting the sponge filter in the new tank with an additional, new sponge filter. I cannot take the HOB off because of the danios, but maybe I will transfer over the fluval rings to the new HOB? I do not know what to do, but my batch of danios are making this very tough...any suggestions? My sponge filter most likely doesn't have too much of an army of beneficial bacteria because it has not been in there too long...but maybe adding some of the dirty substrate in the new tank will help a bit?

Islandvic said:

Actually, maybe a little brain blast here for me...what if I move over both the sponge filter, some of the substrate, the ship decoration, and the HOB cartridge over to the new tank. Then, get a new cartridge for the HOB on the 20 gallon with the danios, and use tetra safe start to try to help that cycle back up? The danio tank will have most of the substrate, which I have learned has alot of the BB...and they are some hardy little fellas. I would obviously monitor daily and make a change whenever I had to...what do you think?

New Threads