Tips on prevention of angelfish breeding

Idkitsathrowaway

in the (hopfully) forseeabule future im gonna get 2 angels. I would go for one but thats the last thing i wanna do. Im gonna order 2 online and there a 50% chance they will be opposite sex 25% m/f 25%f/m.

do to reasons i can not have fry. im not even sure my step mom will let me get the tank for them. i plan on a comunity tank with 2 angels 6ish rummynose tetras and a bricle nose pleco. i may carry the 3 very fat kuhlies from my 10g(im only aloud to have 1 tank per house) there was gonna be a mystery snail, but my dad accidently killed him wile i was gone, its gonna be a 29g(i know a little small but im gonna over filtrate and be DILIGENT on water changes, maybe biweekly) i wanna raise them as best i can in the best water i can provide. ive tossed around proposal making the water just slightly unconfterbul but id rather not stress them too much. so far my best idea is cleaning a old fishing net(i was gonna use for decor but im fine this way) it is too small for the angels to get throught but wide enuff for the tetras. i was gonna lift it off the tank like 3 in so the pleco can travle.

any ideas on discouraging or preventing.
 

carsonsgjs

Unfortunately a 29g is too small for a pair of angels regardless of their sex - some may say its even too small for a single angel. You could keep cichlids in a 29 but you are only looking at dwarf species - rams, apistos, kribs, etc.
 
Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

okay the size has not ben totally set in stone may go up to a 34, 40, of 55 if i can talk my way into it, i still need tips on preventing breeding
 
Upvote 0

MacZ

Prevention of breeding: Keep only sexed individuals of one sex. Which likely results in high aggression when it's just males. Haven't seen a tank with all male angels in which there were no constant fights.

If you only want the fish not to reproduce successfully: The water parameters might prevent eggs from hatching but not fish from spawning. And a spawning pair, successful or not, will push every non-bottomdweller in the corner furthest away from the eggs. Schould they choose a spot in the middle they might even kill whatever gets too close.
 
Upvote 0

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Mac has got this spot on. I think I am stuck with my spawning pair and bottom dwellers in my tank. I'm understocked but any active mid or top level fish introduced now would be brutally dealt with. I mean if I put my hands in the tank now the male angel will display and even attack!

A mixed sex group of juveniles worked okayish as a community. Other than that I think you will need to just keep a single angel in a community.
 
Upvote 0

Yeoy

If you don't want them to breed, I would just not get angelfish. You might already have your heart set on them but it's better to make a responsible choice. You can always get angelfish later on.

There are plenty of other medium sized cichlids you could keep in small groups without them breeding easily. You've got a 50% chance of getting M/F and they breed very readily.
 
Upvote 0

TClare

I agree with everything that has been said so far, the only thing you could do to prevent breeding is separate the pair and rehome one. But in any case a 29 G tank is too small, they grow very quickly and even one would soon be too big. I had two juveniles in a 175l (about 46 gallons) for about 4 months and by the time I moved them to a bigger tank they were already starting to look too big for that tank. I think these two are probably both the same sex, but that can also cause problems. Since I moved them to a 570l tank along with more young angelfish, they have grown even more and one of them constantly chases the other, this is not causing too big a problem as the picked on fish can escape, but had they stayed in the smaller tank it could have been disastrous. I am still expecting more issues later on with these fish but I have other tanks and will rehome any if and when necessary.
 
Upvote 0

FishDin

I hate it when the fish I want don't fit the conditions I can provide. In the end you must do what's best for the fish. My first tank was a 29g and I put the fish I "really really" wanted into it. They should have been in a larger tank. I made it work because I had to, but it was less than ideal for me and the fish. It was a good lesson.

There are so many awesome fish available, especially if your buying online, that it should be easy to get excited by another that is more suitable.
 
Upvote 0

TClare

Also, I meant to mention before, its not only about water quality and aggression, I think a lot of people don’t realise just how big angelfish get. I never had a problem with water quality in the 175, but it is only 70cm long (x 50 x 50), so the angelfish, as they got bigger, did not have much swimming space and looked out of proportion to the habitat they lived in.
 
Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

i may just go one angel to start with or id look for something else rther no fish than a sick fish
 
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

  • Question
  • BenjiBear
  • Snails
Replies
3
Views
155
BenjiBear
Replies
12
Views
243
BenjiBear
  • Question
Replies
4
Views
130
kanzekatores
  • Question
Replies
6
Views
184
TheSpasticCorydora
Replies
6
Views
203
Kristen4050

New Angelfish Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom