Tips on keeping Zoanthids

des
looking to get a Zoanthids. could anyone give me any tips on feeding, lighting etc?
many thanks

agsansoo
They don't require target feeding, just trace elements, marine snow, phytoplankton, and food for filter feeders will insure their good health. As for lighting. what do you currently have ?

des
cool thanks. I have one t5 bulb and 1 flouresent bulb.

agsansoo
What's the length and wattage of the bulb. Given you have a T5 bulb you should be OK. Is the other bulb an actinic (blue) bulb ?

des
its 22" the other is blue yeah, also hava purple kinda colour one? would you recomment both being t5?

agsansoo
T5 refers to tube diameter. The K (kelvin) rating is the most important. Aquarium light fixtures white light is 6500K - 10000K. This is the color rating you corals need. The blue lights are just for looks, not much function. Look on the bulb to find out the K rating.

des
ok nice one, thanks v much for you help

crystalg228
I have a 10,000k and true blue actinic 3 light, is that considered good lighting for anemones?

agsansoo
The easiest way to tell if you anemone is not getting enough light is, they start bleaching (turning white).

crystalg228
so would you say mine needs more light by the way it looks?

des
is it possible to keep an anemone with mixed clowns, or not a good idea?

agsansoo
crystalg228,
Yes it looks bleached. Small frequent feeding will help him. Anemones should have High output (HO) T5 or Metal Halide lights. Yes anemone will live for a while under powercompact fluorescent lights, they just won't thrive under them.

crystalg228
I feed him at least 3 times a week with krill and I also was told to feed them with smorgasbord 2 times a week.sound good to you?

agsansoo
This sounds fine. I was looking at photos of my anemone and noticed it looks whiter in the photos and greener in real life. Maybe your is the same ?

crystalg228
could be because his tenticles are bluish green, looks really pretty!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views
TheFishGirl
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views