Tips on Keeping Sturgeon

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by N2Gongfu, Dec 27, 2012.

1. N

N2Gongfu Valued Member Member

Over the years my dad and I have tried to keep Sturgeon in our Koi pond. We have not had much luck. Weve purchased them somewhat small 3-4 inches and not sure where they end up. I have a feeling someone in the pond may be an undercover carnivore. OR the Sturgeon are starving to death. Sturgeons have downward pointing mouths, and Im not sure if our hungry Koi let anything stay settled on the pond bottom. Anyone have any luck with keeping Sturgeon in a koi pond. Not sure how many gallons the pond is, but its approx 15 ft x 8ftx 4 ft deep.

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

The koi are probably outcompeting them, and I'm not sure that koi food has the appropriate nutrition for sturgeon. Also, sturgeon can get extremely large...I'm not sure what their size usually is upon reaching maturity, but I would guess your pond is too small.

3. OP
    OP
    N

Hmm.. didnt take the nutrition part into consideration. But I do think youre right about the Koi outcompeting them. Tried worms once, the koi pretty much had a thanksgiving day feast. Ive thought of maybe using sinking pellets, but untill I see someone successfully keeping the 2 together Ill hold off on buying another sturgeon. Thanks Eienna!!

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

You're welcome :) sorry you've had such poor luck with it!

5. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Sturgeon need very cool fast moving streams to live. They are not at all suited to pond life.

6. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks soltarianknight! I really shoulda done some research!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice