Tips on keeping a Three spined stickleback?

Leafray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So I moved all my fish in from the pond due to leakage. I noticed I had a very interesting fish that I didn't know what it was. After further inspection and research, I found out it was a three spined stickleback... Does anyone have any ideas or experience keeping them? Currently the one is in with my goldfish in a 125g tank... It's really interesting and swims almost like a puffer! I would like to keep this guy but I don't have any idea of how to... So if any of you guys have experience, advice would be appreciated!
Thanks guys!

Currently breeding: h/b purple guppies

Tonia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never kept them, but did a quick search after seeing your post. They do prefer cold water, they like live foods, but apparently adjust pretty easily to a tank. You may want to treat for parasites to be safe, I read a couple of articles saying that they do often have parasites.

I wonder how he got in there! So cool to find a fish you didn't know you had.

Leafray

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've never kept them, but did a quick search after seeing your post. They do prefer cold water, they like live foods, but apparently adjust pretty easily to a tank. You may want to treat for parasites to be safe, I read a couple of articles saying that they do often have parasites.

I wonder how he got in there! So cool to find a fish you didn't know you had.
Yeah! At first I freaked out because it thought it was a wallaye... Dodo these fish eat small fish?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They aren't very big, and from what I remember, don't have a very big mouth either, and they're peaceful. I had one very briefly.

Leafray

Valued Member
Reaction score
They aren't very big, and from what I remember, don't have a very big mouth either, and they're peaceful. I had one very briefly.
Oh ok, mines about 2-3 inches right now, was actually hoping to keep him to cull fish.. Do I need to find more? Or is he/she good by it self?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From what I read, they will eat fry..... what I thought you meant was would they eat small (2 inch or so, is what I assumed) fish.....
As far as I know it's fine by itself.

Leafray

Valued Member
Reaction score
From what I read, they will eat fry..... what I thought you meant was would they eat small (2 inch or so, is what I assumed) fish.....
As far as I know it's fine by itself.
That would explain for the guppy fry I dropped into my goldfish tank dissapearing I think I'll keep it in there to ear my unwanted fry

Leafray

Valued Member
Reaction score
So the stickleback seemed to have slimmed down quite a bit, can I put him in a planted 2.5 gallon? And he does t seem to like fish flakes... What should I do???!!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom