Tips on keeping a Three spined stickleback?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Leafray, Aug 12, 2015.

1. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Hey guys!
    So I moved all my fish in from the pond due to leakage. I noticed I had a very interesting fish that I didn't know what it was. After further inspection and research, I found out it was a three spined stickleback... Does anyone have any ideas or experience keeping them? Currently the one is in with my goldfish in a 125g tank... It's really interesting and swims almost like a puffer! I would like to keep this guy but I don't have any idea of how to... So if any of you guys have experience, advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks guys!

Currently breeding: h/b purple guppies

2. ToniaWell Known MemberMember

I've never kept them, but did a quick search after seeing your post. They do prefer cold water, they like live foods, but apparently adjust pretty easily to a tank. You may want to treat for parasites to be safe, I read a couple of articles saying that they do often have parasites.

I wonder how he got in there! So cool to find a fish you didn't know you had.

3. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Yeah! At first I freaked out because it thought it was a wallaye... Dodo these fish eat small fish?

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

They aren't very big, and from what I remember, don't have a very big mouth either, and they're peaceful. I had one very briefly.

5. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Oh ok, mines about 2-3 inches right now, was actually hoping to keep him to cull fish.. Do I need to find more? Or is he/she good by it self?

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

From what I read, they will eat fry..... what I thought you meant was would they eat small (2 inch or so, is what I assumed) fish.....
    As far as I know it's fine by itself.

7. LeafrayValued MemberMember

That would explain for the guppy fry I dropped into my goldfish tank dissapearing :) I think I'll keep it in there to ear my unwanted fry

8. LeafrayValued MemberMember

So the stickleback seemed to have slimmed down quite a bit, can I put him in a planted 2.5 gallon? And he does t seem to like fish flakes... What should I do???!!!

9. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Try feeding some live food.

10. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Found him dead today after a long trip... :(

11. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Sorry for your loss. :(

12. LeafrayValued MemberMember

Thanks... I don't know how he survived in my pond, but pretty sure he was eating daphnia and guppy fry... Sigh, it's a lesson learned...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice