Tips on how to make a better build.

PlantZombie

Hey fishlore! Its been a while since my last post. I have a 20h tank as my first build and I know I can do better, how ever I want this to grow out and just do better with my 10 gallon tank. The 20h has some seriyu stone, and some driftwood glued together (honestly I forget what kind) substrate has lavarock at the bottom, and 40lbs of black eco-complete. There is jungle val, red crypt, red mellon sword, amazon sword, brazzilian pennywort, s. Repens, and some hair grass. (I forget what kind of hair grass) Living here are two unknown snails, 2 zebra danios and 4 glowfish danios. Eventually there will be otocinclus and some smaller corydoras if I can fit them comfertably. My question for you all is, can you tell just by the pictures how I can up my game for future aquascapes? Thank you in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you all! :)

Attachments

• 20210427_182422_HDR.jpg
    20210427_182422_HDR.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 38

Ouse

Maybe bump the population of danios up. It’s best to keep schools of the same species rather than mixing species to create a school. Are the zebra danios schooling with the Glofish danios?

IMO black backgrounds are the best backgrounds. They provide fish with a sense of security knowing that no predators can come from that direction, and they look good. It’s better than having a view of the wall and the wires behind the tank. Backgrounds that imitate underwater scenery can look out of place.

Other than that you have a beautiful scape going on. :) Better than what I can achieve!

Upvote 0

SnookusFish

You have a nice sense of flow with all the rocks pointing the same direction and the wood makes a triangular composition but it is a very basic scape. Pretty blockey and IMO the background is tacky. I think what u did with the rock is nice so in future use more rock all the way into the background, using a light coloured sand for the path can make the scape look better too. Look at some Brazilian style aquascapes, I think that's something you should go for. :)

Upvote 0

PlantZombie

Maybe bump the population of danios up. It’s best to keep schools of the same species rather than mixing species to create a school. Are the zebra danios schooling with the Glofish danios?

IMO black backgrounds are the best backgrounds. They provide fish with a sense of security knowing that no predators can come from that direction, and they look good. It’s better than having a view of the wall and the wires behind the tank. Backgrounds that imitate underwater scenery can look out of place.

Other than that you have a beautiful scape going on. :) Better than what I can achieve!
Yes, the danios all school together pretty well, they always remain together, although the largest one always chases the smaller ones. So far ive noticed that the smaller ones get chased to a corner, and after they have rested, they return to the school. I guess that may be something to keep an eye on though
You have a nice sense of flow with all the rocks pointing the same direction and the wood makes a triangular composition but it is a very basic scape. Pretty blockey and IMO the background is tacky. I think what u did with the rock is nice so in future use more rock all the way into the background, using a light coloured sand for the path can make the scape look better too. Look at some Brazilian style aquascapes, I think that's something you should go for. :)
Thank you for the tips. I will deffenitly look up Brazilian aquascapes. As I was going for that look. Even though I should have tetras rather than danios in a South American scape lol! I will also look into sands for a path leading to my "end point" to create more layers, as well as maybe a black background? I have much more to learn on this journey. Ill post again in a few weeks once new groth is visible.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
maggie thecat
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
RelaxingBettas