Tips on fixing a crackd tank

Sabi
My tank has been cracked, with a piece out.

I'd like to take a crack at fixing it myself. I'm taking the whole front piece out and will be getting another piece of glass to put in. I was told to use marine glue, is this good? Any tips from you DIY guys on how to go about doing it?
Thanks!

Trpimp147
make sure the glass edge is clean before installing it.

≈ D ≈
I was told to use marine glue, is this good? Any tips from you DIY guys on how to go about doing it?
Thanks!

Use aquarium grade silicone sealant. Put the new glass in place, then run a bead of the silicone along the edges and then use a wet finger or the back of a teaspoon along the bead with a bit of pressure to push the silicone onto both pieces of glass to make a seal. You can use duct tape to hold the glass in place. Leave it for about 48 hours to make sure it is sealed before putting water in there.

When using the silicone sealant, make sure you have PLENTY of ventilation - best place to do it is outside

Sabi
Thanks for the replies!
More out of curiosity where would it be more likely find 'aquarium grade silicone sealant', a petstore, hardware store?

≈ D ≈
Yes, any local fish shop (LFS), PetSmart and even a super Walmart.

There's also this:

armadillo
Found mine in our local fish store.
Thanks for the replies!
More out of curiosity where would it be more likely find 'aquarium grade silicone sealant', a petstore, hardware store?

Sabi
Thanks!

darkwolf29a
My LFS doesn't sell it. They send everyone to the hardware store, for a calking gun and and a tube of sealant...works like a charm.

MudHog
GE II 100% Silicone works just as well. Just make sure it's 100% silicone.

≈ D ≈
GE II 100% Silicone works just as well. Just make sure it's 100% silicone.

GE II has the anti-mildew stuff in it. GE Silicone I is the one that can be used in aquariums. They changed things and got a lot of aquarists when they did because everyone used to use it.

I've found the most cost effective silicone is on ebay at that link I posted above and it is definitely safe for aquariums.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bizaliz3
Replies
Views
harleygrooo
Replies
Views
oOBlueOo
Replies
Views