Tips On Feeding Adf

  • Thread starter

AnnaP

Valued Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
13
Points
28
Experience
Just started
How do you feed your African dwarf frog? By the time my ADF realizes there’s food around it, the fish steal it from her. Even when I try to distract them with flakes.
The only way I can make sure she eats is when she’s floating at the top and I put frog pellets in the plastic spoon and she grabs it from the spoon. The problem with this is that I don’t always have time to chase her with the spoon, plus my husband gives me strange looks
Thank you for your advice
 

schismy007

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
6
Points
76
When I had one, I fed him bloodworm and pieces of mussel. But I had to make sure I dropped it near to him for him to find it, I don't believe they see so well.
 
  • Thread starter

AnnaP

Valued Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
13
Points
28
Experience
Just started
schismy007 said:
When I had one, I fed him bloodworm and pieces of mussel. But I had to make sure I dropped it near to him for him to find it, I don't believe they see so well.
Omg, yes! Sometimes I think mine is completely blind!
 

schismy007

New Member
Messages
5
Reaction score
6
Points
76
I'm not sure they are totally blind, but I don't think they see well at all. I think they are used to pushing things into their mouths with those big hands. If you notice how they use them, moving them about when food is near. And I think that's how they eat in the wild.
 

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,635
Reaction score
6,156
Points
658
Experience
More than 10 years
In the past when I had them with other fish (they realy are better off by themselves) I found a turkey baster to be helpful.
 

skar

Well Known Member
Messages
1,258
Reaction score
527
Points
198
Experience
5 years
Use beef heart.
Drop iy in the tank and the Adf will find it.
 
  • Moderator

Lucy

Moderator
Messages
45,200
Reaction score
2,404
Points
1,383
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi AnnaP welcome to FishLore!

That's one of the issues people face when African Dwarf Frogs are in with fish. Special care needs to be taken, as you have found out, to ensure they are eating.
That's one of the reasons many of us keep them in a species only tank.
With that said, there are better food choices than frog pellets. There are some food recommendations here:
Care Sheet For African Dwarf Frogs

schismy007 ADFs don't use their flippers to eat. Their short little arms make it almost impossible to reach the front of their mouth.
 

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Messages
1,743
Reaction score
1,314
Points
148
Experience
1 year
I wrote this on a prior thread...
bitseriously said:
I use a thick (nearly 1/4" diam?) bamboo bbq skewer to target feed to my ADFs, one worm at a time. It's working really well for me...
I cut off the pointy end of the skewer, and made a short slit up the stick along the grain, maybe 1-1/2" long (kind of like if I was splitting the skewer into halves, lengthwise, starting at cut end). That slit stays closed enough on its own, but can be pried open with tweezers, which I use to load the skewer with 1 bloodworm at a time. So when I lower the worm on/in the skewer down to the waiting frogs (mine come out at feeding time, 3 strong taps on the tank rim), they can yank the worms off the skewer easily, and I don't have to worry about dropping it too early or holding too long with tweezers. And the top of the skewer stays above waterline, so no fingers in tank.
Not noted above, but it would probably also work to keep the food away from the fishies (though I don't have any in my setup).
All that said, since I wrote the above, my frogs have become better at coming up off the bottom at feeding time, so as often as not I can just use the tweezers (make sure you have a pair that's blunt, so the frog doesn't stab itself by accident).
I think I'll try grocery store shrimp pieces next...
 
  • Thread starter

AnnaP

Valued Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
13
Points
28
Experience
Just started
skar said:
Use beef heart.
Drop iy in the tank and the Adf will find it.
Fish won’t eat beef heart?

bitseriously said:
I wrote this on a prior thread...

Not noted above, but it would probably also work to keep the food away from the fishies (though I don't have any in my setup).
All that said, since I wrote the above, my frogs have become better at coming up off the bottom at feeding time, so as often as not I can just use the tweezers (make sure you have a pair that's blunt, so the frog doesn't stab itself by accident).
I think I'll try grocery store shrimp pieces next...
Oh, that’s good idea, I can see how it might work

Lucy said:
Hi AnnaP welcome to FishLore!

That's one of the issues people face when African Dwarf Frogs are in with fish. Special care needs to be taken, as you have found out, to ensure they are eating.
That's one of the reasons many of us keep them in a species only tank.
With that said, there are better food choices than frog pellets. There are some food recommendations here:
Care Sheet For African Dwarf Frogs

schismy007 ADFs don't use their flippers to eat. Their short little arms make it almost impossible to reach the front of their mouth.
Wow, so many food choices , I have daphnia and blood worms to try

Thunder_o_b said:
In the past when I had them with other fish (they realy are better off by themselves) I found a turkey baster to be helpful.
So you squirt the food out right next to it?
 

skar

Well Known Member
Messages
1,258
Reaction score
527
Points
198
Experience
5 years
The fish will eat some of it.
But the frog seems to like it more than the fish do.
Depending on your stocking I suppose.
Has worked for my frog !
 
  • Thread starter

AnnaP

Valued Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
13
Points
28
Experience
Just started
skar said:
The fish will eat some of it.
But the frog seems to like it more than the fish do.
Depending on your stocking I suppose.
Has worked for my frog !
Raw or cooked?
 

skar

Well Known Member
Messages
1,258
Reaction score
527
Points
198
Experience
5 years
AnnaP said:
Raw or cooked?
It's frozen raw.
I use the beef heart frozen packs you pick up at fish store or PetSmart/co.
It's chopped and ready to go.

I used a baster before trying to feed the frog bloodworms it was a pain.
The beef heart has taken away that Hassel for me.
 
  • Thread starter

AnnaP

Valued Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
13
Points
28
Experience
Just started
skar said:
It's frozen raw.
I use the beef heart frozen packs you pick up at fish store or PetSmart/co.
It's chopped and ready to go.

I used a baster before trying to feed the frog bloodworms it was a pain.
The beef heart has taken away that Hassel for me.
Oh I see. Will check it out. Thank you!
 

skar

Well Known Member
Messages
1,258
Reaction score
527
Points
198
Experience
5 years
AnnaP said:
Oh I see. Will check it out. Thank you!
One other word of advice, use a prefilter sponge.
They can get their legs stuck in the filter intake.
 
  • Thread starter

AnnaP

Valued Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
13
Points
28
Experience
Just started
Oh thank you. I just looked it up online to see what it is. Will see tomorrow if Petco has it
 
  • Thread starter

AnnaP

Valued Member
Messages
59
Reaction score
13
Points
28
Experience
Just started
Thank you everyone, beef heart turned out to be just the right fit for my tank. She loves it and the rest, even Corys, don’t care for it much.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom