Tips on dosing Seachem Prime?

Rachaeljuno
I just switched to using Seachem Prime as a dechlorinator since I'm doing a fish-in cycle in one of my tanks. However, I only do 1 or 2 gallon water changes at a time. Yesterday I used 2 drops of Seachem prime per 1 gallon because that's the dosing I found online. But to me that seems kinda weird that it would only be 2 drops. Any suggestions or tips?

StarGirl
It is really concentrated thats why only a few drops. What size tank do you have?

Rachaeljuno
StarGirl said:
It is really concentrated thats why only a few drops. What size tank do you have?
It’s a 5.5 gallon, but I only do 1-2 gallon water changes, usually only 1 gallon.

StarGirl
I have read all over Fishlore 2 drops per gallon. It is concentrated.

SecondTime
Just a couple of drops is probably fine, but it will depend on your water supply.

I use Prime as my tap conditioner, and because I have exceptionally hard tap water, I have to mix it with some purified water. So I draw my tap in gallon jugs and treat it before mixing. When I draw a gallon of tap, I use about 4 drops of Prime. I was using just 2, but checked with my county water department, who explained that we have a high chloramine level in our water. Based on the suggestion on the Prime bottle, I've doubled the drops to 4 per gallon.

No ill effects on my fish - everything seems fine.

Suggest testing your tap to see what you're dealing with Nitrite and Nitrate wise, and also checking in with your water supplier (unless you have well water) to see if you can determine the chloramine level.

mattgirl
While doing a fish in cycle I recommend you add enough with each water change to treat the full 5.5 gallons. Until the tank is fully cycled there will be some ammonia in there. We want to add enough Prime to detox the ammonia. Once the cycle is complete if you continue using Prime as your water conditioner just add a couple of drops per gallon of water change water.

It would really be difficult if not impossible to add too much but using too much is just a waste of product. If there is a chance of any ammonia in the tank as there normally is while doing a fish in cycle I would rather err on the side of caution by adding more than needed instead of not quite enough.

Rachaeljuno
mattgirl said:
While doing a fish in cycle I recommend you add enough with each water change to treat the full 5.5 gallons. Until the tank is fully cycled there will be some ammonia in there. We want to add enough Prime to detox the ammonia. Once the cycle is complete if you continue using Prime as your water conditioner just add a couple of drops per gallon of water change water.

It would really be difficult if not impossible to add too much but using too much is just a waste of product. If there is a chance of any ammonia in the tank as there normally is while doing a fish in cycle I would rather err on the side of caution by adding more than needed instead of not quite enough.
When I tested my water from the tank last night these are the numbers I got:
Ammonia: between 0 and .25ppm
pH: 7.2
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: between 0 and 5ppm
I started the aquarium last Sunday (not yesterday Sunday) so it's been running/cycling for a week, and those numbers seem pretty good to me. Do you think I could do 4 drops?
SecondTime said:
Just a couple of drops is probably fine, but it will depend on your water supply.

I use Prime as my tap conditioner, and because I have exceptionally hard tap water, I have to mix it with some purified water. So I draw my tap in gallon jugs and treat it before mixing. When I draw a gallon of tap, I use about 4 drops of Prime. I was using just 2, but checked with my county water department, who explained that we have a high chloramine level in our water. Based on the suggestion on the Prime bottle, I've doubled the drops to 4 per gallon.

No ill effects on my fish - everything seems fine.

Suggest testing your tap to see what you're dealing with Nitrite and Nitrate wise, and also checking in with your water supplier (unless you have well water) to see if you can determine the chloramine level.
I also use gallon jugs to get the tap water in and I mix the Prime into that before putting it in the tank. I'm not exactly sure how to check with the water department about chloramine since it seems like their telephone number is only for emergencies. I don't treat my water with anything to raise/lower pH and its at about 7.2 when I tested it last night. I'll test the tap water though for Nitrite and Nitrate, should I test for Ammonia and pH in the tap water too?

Broggy
prime is really good. I once had a declorinater rated for "betta bowls" that needed 20 drops per gallon. it was so watered down I doubt it even did anything.

Rachaeljuno
Broggy said:
prime is really good. I once had a declorinater rated for "betta bowls" that needed 20 drops per gallon. it was so watered down I doubt it even did anything.
Yeah, I was using Imagitarium's Betta Water Conditioner and it was 10 drops per gallon. I just switched to Prime last night but more so because it detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

mattgirl
Rachaeljuno said:
When I tested my water from the tank last night these are the numbers I got:
Ammonia: between 0 and .25ppm
pH: 7.2
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: between 0 and 5ppm
I started the aquarium last Sunday (not yesterday Sunday) so it's been running/cycling for a week, and those numbers seem pretty good to me. Do you think I could do 4 drops?

I also use gallon jugs to get the tap water in and I mix the Prime into that before putting it in the tank. I'm not exactly sure how to check with the water department about chloramine since it seems like their telephone number is only for emergencies. I don't treat my water with anything to raise/lower pH and its at about 7.2 when I tested it last night. I'll test the tap water though for Nitrite and Nitrate, should I test for Ammonia and pH in the tap water too?
You are still very early in the cycling process so I suspect you will find you have nitrates in your tap water. Not a problem but that number will be your baseline. When the nitrates go up from there you will know the tank is producing them. It is a good idea to run all 4 tests on your tap water. Those numbers will be your baseline numbers.

Since you are starting to see ammonia and should start seeing nitrites in another week or two I will recommend you add 10 drops each time you do your water change or every other day if you don't have to do a water change sooner than that. When doing a fish in cycle I recommend dosing enough for the full tank because it detoxes ammonia. We need to detox all the water in the tank. If we don't have ammonia we just need enough to remove the chlorine from the fresh water.

I recommend you try to keep the ammonia down to this level with water changes. .25 is about as high as I am comfortable with when doing a fish in cycle.

Rachaeljuno
mattgirl said:
You are still very early in the cycling process so I suspect you will find you have nitrates in your tap water. Not a problem but that number will be your baseline. When the nitrates go up from there you will know the tank is producing them. It is a good idea to run all 4 tests on your tap water. Those numbers will be your baseline numbers.

Since you are starting to see ammonia and should start seeing nitrites in another week or two I will recommend you add 10 drops each time you do your water change or every other day if you don't have to do a water change sooner than that. When doing a fish in cycle I recommend dosing enough for the full tank because it detoxes ammonia. We need to detox all the water in the tank. If we don't have ammonia we just need enough to remove the chlorine from the fresh water.

I recommend you try to keep the ammonia down to this level with water changes. .25 is about as high as I am comfortable with when doing a fish in cycle.
Okay, thanks! I just tested it again and got exactly the same results as last night so I'm going another 20% water change. I added 7 drops of Prime to the new gallon since I made my hole kind of big in the top of the Prime lol. On the other hand, my other tank seems to me like it's fully cycled! I got 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, ~4 Nitrate, and 7.4 pH

Jojo205
I believe it’s 0.1 ml per gallon. I change out 2.5 gallons per water change so I use 0.25 ml with a 1 ml syringe.

mattgirl
Rachaeljuno said:
Okay, thanks! I just tested it again and got exactly the same results as last night so I'm going another 20% water change. I added 7 drops of Prime to the new gallon since I made my hole kind of big in the top of the Prime lol. On the other hand, my other tank seems to me like it's fully cycled! I got 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, ~4 Nitrate, and 7.4 pH
It may be easier for you if you could get a syringe to measure your prime. When I do my water changes I do it with buckets. I have to fill my 4 gallon bucket up 6 times when I do my 50% water changes on my 55 gallon tank. I put 1/2ml of Prime in each bucket so this tank gets 3mls of Prime each and every week.

Since this is a 5.5 gallon tank I recommend you add 1/2ml each time you do a water change until this cycle is complete. I don't know exactly how many drops that is since I've never gone by drops. For me it is much easier using a syringe than trying to be consistent with drops.

If you get a small syringe to add your Prime you may want to consider getting another bigger one for filling your test tubes. A syringe makes it so much easier to add the exact amount of water needed to do the tests. Since you don't need the needle you may be able to get them from your vet or at a pharmacy.

How long has the other tank been up and running? I will ask again. Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Lots of folks find they do have them in their tap water.

Rachaeljuno
mattgirl said:
It may be easier for you if you could get a syringe to measure your prime. When I do my water changes I do it with buckets. I have to fill my 4 gallon bucket up 6 times when I do my 50% water changes on my 55 gallon tank. I put 1/2ml of Prime in each bucket so this tank gets 3mls of Prime each and every week.

Since this is a 5.5 gallon tank I recommend you add 1/2ml each time you do a water change until this cycle is complete. I don't know exactly how many drops that is since I've never gone by drops. For me it is much easier using a syringe than trying to be consistent with drops.

If you get a small syringe to add your Prime you may want to consider getting another bigger one for filling your test tubes. A syringe makes it so much easier to add the exact amount of water needed to do the tests. Since you don't need the needle you may be able to get them from your vet or at a pharmacy.

How long has the other tank been up and running? I will ask again. Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Lots of folks find they do have them in their tap water.
I have a syringe to get the water into the test tubes, but unfortunately it doesn't have any measurement markings on it . So if I add 1/2ml until it's cycled, how much would I add per gallon once it is cycled?
The tank has been running since March 21, so just over a week. I just tested my tap water and got:
pH: 7.6 (the blue actually looked even darker than the 7.6 on the chart so it might be more, should I test it with the high range solution? It wasn't near this dark when I tested the tank water, but I don't add anything to lower pH)
Ammonia: between .25 and .50
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
I'll definitely look into finding a syringe for the Prime, that seems much more accurate and reliable lol

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom