Tips on cycling new tank

1. Russ15 Initiate Member

Hey guys I am just setting up another tank and have been reading a lot about using media from previous cycled tanks. What I did was use the water from my other cycled tank and have rung out the sponge from my cycled tank into the water of the new tank as well. I did a fishless, chemical cycle using pure ammonia last time and am wondering where to go from here. Do I add ammonia again or what is my next step. Thanks

2. HitchHiker Member Member

You will need something to feed the bacteria, fish food, I used a shrimp. You may even be able to use fish, but you will need something that will produce the ammonia that will feed the cycle other wise the bacteria will die.

3. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

You added water and filter media from the established tank. I would think that if you can add some substrate and maybe some of the decor from one of the other tanks you should be able to add fish and it will be ready to go.
    What type of fish are you going to be adding to the tank. Using media and materials from established tanks is basically like an instant cycle.

4. Russ15 Initiate Member

thanks for the info guys just adding my betta into a separate tank... he was a little too aggressive towards the other fish. I plan on getting a good scoop of the substrate and placing it in a nylon and hanging it inside the tank to let the bacteria filter in. I also have one decor item than i can add as well.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    Just keep an eye on your water parameters for a while if you add your betta right to the seeded tank.
    Good luck!

6. Russ15 Initiate Member

Quick update just checked all my water parameters:
    Ammonia: .50
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate:10

On my cycled tank nothing registers except nitrate of course, does this mean my new tank just needs a water change or needs to be cycled more? (Just confused because ammonia shows up but am still getting correct reading for nitrite and nitrate)

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

is the betta in there also now? with ammonia showing in the tank, and if the betta is in there now, you are in a mini cycle and you need to do daily water changes with some prime ...for future reference, just squeezing the media and using water wont do much for the cycle ....theres not enough that free floats in the water and you are mainly just changing out the waste of that tank..you really need to cut off pieces of that media to use as an instant cycle with fish....... good luck!

8. Russ15 Initiate Member

Betta has not been added because I haven't seeded the tank with substrate or decor yet. As soon as that is done I'll transfer him over.

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I'm a little confused as to why you have an ammonia reading in the new tank, if you haven't added any ammonia, fish or fish food to the tank.

It would make sense to have zero nitrites since ammonia is not being converted into nitrites at this point. The 10 nitrates are probably from the water that you took from the old tank and put into the new tank.

10. Russ15 Initiate Member

I got the tank used and it already had gravel in it. I'm using that same gravel, I washed it thoroughly before putting the water in it. That may be where the ammonia reading is coming from. I added one decor item and some substrate yesterday from my cycled tank and the ammonia reading went up again. jdhef... thanks for your input that is what makes the most sense to me as well, I put five drops of pure ammonia in the tank last night as well. Betta has not been added of course.