Tips on Brichardi Cichlids?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by AngelZee, Aug 11, 2014.

1. A

AngelZee Valued Member Member

I have set up my empty but cycled 30 gallon aquarium for Brichardi's and will be getting them in the next few days.

The tank has been cycled and has a Fluval 206 Filter with a 50W Heater I believe or 100W, can't recall :/ and a mini bubble wall in the corner for extra aeration and water flow.

The tank has fine white sand and has 3 rock pieces with caves and tunnels for lots of cichlid fry fun :)
    I plan on purchasing a group of 6 Brichardi's for them to pair up on their own and I do plan on breeding them.

If needed, I have my 50g tank setup for extra space if I happen to need to transfer some fish which I know I will later down the line. My Tap water has a pH of 7.6 ish and a Hardness of 12-14 so I'm sure they will enjoy that .

I am planning on adding a few plants in there as well to cope with nitrates. Such as Anacharis and Hornwort.
    I am getting these fish fairly small as well, 1-2 inches.

But if anyone has ever had Brichardi's or Lake Tanganyika Cichlids and has any tips/advice for me prior to getting them, it would be greatly appreciated :D

Edit: Forgot to add that the full name of the fish I am getting are Neolamprologus Brichardi as there are a few types of brichardi's

2. emmynk

emmynk Well Known Member Member

Lots of rocks and caves! For different territories.
    Haha and I use a lake cichlid buffer, I believe it is made by seachem. It has all necessary trace minerals.
    Good luck! I love lake tang cichlids!

3. OP
    OP
    A

I think I am good on rocks for now, may get more later down the line :)

And thanks I will look into that buffer.

4. tmills

tmills New Member Member

You have great taste in fish! The buffer that was mentioned will I believe raise your ph, I keep brichardi and other neolamps up around 8.0ph and use sea salt when you pickup or order your stock make sure to ask about ph and diet makes a good starting point. They were the first Tang I raised over 30yrs ago had a colony in 75gal, you'll love the behavior they have and they are great parents. ENJOY!!!

5. OP
    OP
    A

Alright I will make sure to ask them and thank you, Brichadri's are beautiful fish even though they may look simple and not eye-catching at first glance like other vibrant fish.

I will most likely be getting them from Petco but I'm not too sure if i should since not all of their aquariums look top notch, perhaps i will look around first for stores dedicated to fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice