Tips On Breeding Black Rose Shrimp

Jefferys420

Hey guys I'm going to be picking up some shrimp listed as black rose later at my lfs can any1 give me tips on these lil guys first time I've seen them at the lfs....

Are they easy to breed?

Do they require certain parameters to breed like TDS and all that kinda stuff

Are they sensitive or are they on the hardy side like cherries and the easier to breed shrimp you can find

Here's some pics IMG-20190610-WA0009.jpgIMG-20190610-WA0010.jpg

richiep

Main things to be aware of gh/kh test kit needed
Gh needs to be above 6 to be safe and lower than 19 . Temp 22.5 to 24 best in between, TDS around 200 to 300 more sensitive than cherries so drip acclimation for 3 hrs, don't mix with cherries as they look good and reds will ruin the strain

Jefferys420

richie.p said:
Main things to be aware of gh/kh test kit needed
Gh needs to be above 6 to be safe and lower than 19 . Temp 22.5 to 24 best in between, TDS around 200 to 300 more sensitive than cherries so drip acclimation for 3 hrs, don't mix with cherries as they look good and reds will ruin the strain
The TDS out of my taps is between 45 to 50ppm and my tanks range between 120 to 150ppm..

Ooh ok I see I'll need to get the gh/kh test then

No I don't plan on mixing I'm only getting the black rose but the lfs is keep the cherrys red rillis and the black roses together in 1 tank not sure why ?......

I've also got these shrimp I've pulled out of the local rivers by me not sure what they are those cause south Africa doesn't have much along the lines of natural fresh water shrimp could you perhaps tell me what they are ? They vary to a degree some have like a yellow white line down their back others are crystal clear and others get tints of blue and red 1560213003842.jpg1560213139379.jpg1560213194595.jpg1560213285200.jpg20180531_030549.jpg20180703_145031.jpg

richiep

Wow that last one ide like to see a side photo the others are ghost shrimp family the arched back is the give away, if your black rose are going in the same tank watch them as ghost have a reputation of killing young shrimp even their own

Jefferys420

richie.p said:
Wow that last one ide like to see a side photo the others are ghost shrimp family the arched back is the give away, if your black rose are going in the same tank watch them as ghost have a reputation of killing young shrimp even their own
Oh ok I see... I don't really want to put them with the ghost shrimp cause I was told that they could crossbreed with the black rose shrimp and I don't want to mess up the strain will the crossbreed if I added them to a tank with those

These other 2 pics were taken just after putting him in a tank and then his color went darker after adding him to the tank

This is the tank the black rose are going into haven't add plants yet does it look alright for shrimp it was suppose to be for my apisto breeding until I saw the black rose shrimp lol..... I've also got these leaves a friend gave me for them said they are IAL when I look at them their just leaves some don't even look the same so I'm a bit hesitant if they all came from the same tree surely they would look similar 20180711_221308.jpg20180703_144024.jpg1560259327657.jpg

Sorry here's pics of the leaves ....I'm also go8ng to add some java moss

So I fetched them few mins ago but they only had 4 left 1560259541876.jpg1560259566761.jpg1560259618274.jpg

richiep

They won't cross with ghost and generally ghost are clear ive never seen one like that was it that colour when you got him and how long ago? Those leaves you only need two in there but soak them in hot water as you'll get a lot of tannins out, tannins are good if you don't mind them and will disperse with water changes as for the jarva moss bind it to some wood with cotton it'll come on loads

Jefferys420

richie.p said:
They won't cross with ghost and generally ghost are clear ive never seen one like that was it that colour when you got him and how long ago? Those leaves you only need two in there but soak them in hot water as you'll get a lot of tannins out, tannins are good if you don't mind them and will disperse with water changes as for the jarva moss bind it to some wood with cotton it'll come on loads
That shrimp came out of 1 of the rivers by my house he was that color when I caught it..... It was about last year August when I caught him unfortunately I don't have him/her anymore I wanted to breed but no luck ... I don't mind the tannis in the water I like the black water look I don't run any carbon in that tank just a boyu sponge

Thanks for all the Advice richie.p

Jefferys420

Update*

So did the 3hr drip accumulation like you suggested and so far so good I think.. They're very active swimming all around the tank is that normal ? I tested the water in the bag they came from and the ph was 8.0 my tanks ph is sitting at 7.8.. I couldn't get a gh/kh test none of my lfs had any they only getting more next month.

I added some have moss java fern and another type of java fern think it's the trident type and 2 IAL leaves

They moving to much to get pics of them will post some when they stop zooming around the tank lol1560275628663.jpg

richiep

That's great I'm glad it's working

Top Bottom