10 Gallon Tank Tips on adding plants to an already established tank

Hnomis

I have an established 10 gallon tank with Buenos aeries tetras, pearl danios, and some apple or nerite snails. I have tried twice to add plants and both times the plants have fully died or been eaten by the residents. I have a light that's supposed to be good for plants, and seachem fluorite substrate.
Any advice on how to deter nibbling, help plants thrive, or plants that might be strong enough would be appreciated.

awilkinson871

Buenos Aires tetras are known to eat plants. It is their diet in the wild so there isn't much you can do to change that. It is not uncommon for plants to melt when introduced to the tank, but I doubt you are going to have much luck since the tetras will finish them off.

Upvote 0

Tayler

I find anubias quite strong. They were the first aquarium plant I could keep alive. Before getting anubias I did not do any research on lighting whatsoever, I just placed the anubias in my tank. Surprisingly they survived, and are doing much better now. Anubias leaves also seem to be somewhat hard, perhaps your fish may not eat it? I know that my snails never touch my anubias.

Upvote 0

CoconutTheBetta

I have an established 10 gallon tank with Buenos aeries tetras, pearl danios, and some apple or nerite snails. I have tried twice to add plants and both times the plants have fully died or been eaten by the residents. I have a light that's supposed to be good for plants, and seachem fluorite substrate.
Any advice on how to deter nibbling, help plants thrive, or plants that might be strong enough would be appreciated.
Hi! Make sure that the light emits enough light for ALL the plants in your tank. Since the bioload is more on the low side, you should add some fertilizer. I've heard Thrive is good if you're looking for a liquid fert. For root tabs, you can look anywhere. Even on Etsy if you're looking to support small businesses.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MasterPython
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nianichole
Replies
Views