Tips of java fern leaves turning dark green

AQUARIUS1618

Is it normal for java fern to be turning dark green on the tips of plant?? Am I doing something wrong?? Any advice please??

Marijn Lange

I experienced the same problem. Don’t plant them to deep! That is most likely the cause of your problem. Perhaps bind them to a rock a piece of driftwood?

mattgirl

I am far from a plant expert but from all I've read you don't want to actually plant your java ferns. You can either glue or tie it to wood, rocks or anything in your tank. I have some tied to small rocks and then I buried the rocks but left the roots exposed. I also glued some to the side of small terracotta pots. Mine are doing really well glued to the pots.

AQUARIUS1618

That's the thing none of my javas are under any substrate only glued to my driftwood and rock . It's only some of the leaves.. am I not giving it enough of something??

Attachments

• 20191020_112405.jpg
    20191020_112405.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 104

mattgirl

I can't see what you are seeing so can't be much help. Have you checked to see if it is some kind of algae? I ask because I noticed the upper ends of one of my stem plants was turning a rich deep green. Come to find out it was algae. It was a nice color but had I not noticed what was happening the algae would have starved the plant. I easily took care of it with Flourish Excel. So fa it hasn't come back.

Vishaquatics

That's normal on java ferns. The new growth usually get's those dark green translucent tips. It indicates good health on the plants. Nothing to worry about

AQUARIUS1618

I can't see what you are seeing so can't be much help. Have you checked to see if it is some kind of algae? I ask because I noticed the upper ends of one of my stem plants was turning a rich deep green. Come to find out it was algae. It was a nice color but had I not noticed what was happening the algae would have starved the plant. I easily took care of it with Flourish Excel. So fa it hasn't come back.
It's on the smallest leaf. I use flourish excel and a lot of the other leaves look fine just here and there at the tips are a deep green

That's normal on java ferns. The new growth usually get's those dark green translucent tips. It indicates good health on the plants. Nothing to worry about
Thank goodness I thought I was killing it.

AQUARIUS1618

The black parts were on the plant when I got them

DoraCory

That is good to know, I've noticed the same on my Java Ferns

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SecondTime
Replies
Views
anitaesroli
Replies
Views
carsonsgjs
Replies