Tips for successful shrimp keeping

FishOverseer909

I'm thinking about stocking my new 20 gallon with neocaridina shrimp once it's cycled but every time I've tried to raise shrimp they usually ended up being wiped out by some unknown force which I chalked up to most likely be the other fish particularly the zebra danios I had at the time. However that being said I would like to be completely prepared as I not only want to keep my shrimp alive I also want to jump start a massive colony so I can give some yellow shrimp to a few of my aquarist comrades.

Coradee

I’ve moved your thread to the shrimp & crab board, have a look at some of the stickied threads at the top, lots of useful information in those & some here
Cherry Shrimp Forum
Dolfan also wrote a useful article Freshwater Shrimp Keeping

FishOverseer909

I have another smaller question which I forgot to ask, which regards to my 4 snails which are currently in my 20 gallon, one shoudl I think about moving my snails once the tank is fully cycled, and two will the four snails create a large bioload

Blacksheep1

I would keep two in there to help with any food waste. Do you have a kh and gh test kit ? Tsd meter ? Are you planning on using ro water or sticking at tap ? Also let the tank run for at least 3 months to get a nice biofilm for the shrimp to graze on :)
Oh and get some moss growing for the babies !!

FishOverseer909

I would keep two in there to help with any food waste. Do you have a kh and gh test kit ? Tsd meter ? Are you planning on using ro water or sticking at tap ? Also let the tank run for at least 3 months to get a nice biofilm for the shrimp to graze on :)
Oh and get some moss growing for the babies !!
Ok firstly yes I have gh kh measuring kits though I lack a tsd meter and I don't plan on using ro water since my tap water suits the requirements for neocaridina shrimp snugly. What moss would you recommend besides Java moss as I already have Java moss prepped for my tank

Blacksheep1

I use tap for mine too so I was just asking the question :) don’t forget to slowly ( drip if possible ) add temp matched water back. tds meters are pretty cheap off Amazon or the like, I think mine was about £12 .
Java moss will be just fine , I have spiky moss and I really like how it branches but that’s just aesthetics.
ive found that bacter ae ( there’s others like shrimp baby etc ) is a good thing to have on hand to help biofilm growth for the babies to feed. Green beans , spinach , kale , courgettes and broccoli blanched are all great too :D

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AZfresh
Replies
Views
Landos
  • Question
Replies
Views
abbytherookiehuman
Replies