Tips for reorganizing gourami population :)

catzforever

Hi everyone,

After getting mistaken advice from my LFS, I ended up with 5 gourami in a 17G tank with a 3 panda cori, 5 otos and one darter characin, and all **** is breaking loose. No fin-nipping, injuries or depression cases so far but I can tell the gouramis are tense and keep darting towards each another, especially during feeding times. I noticed a specific pecking order and would really appreciate your recommendations on how to split this group into two separate tanks. Here's the data:

1. George Costanza, Male Red Dwarf Gourami -> picks on all other gouramis
2. Tony Soprano, Male Orange Thick-lipped Gourami -> picks on the female orange thick-lipped gourami and sometimes fights back or picks on the MRDG
3. William, Unsexed Young Pearl Gourami I -> picks on the smaller unsexed pearl gourami. It seems to be a female because its body is rounder, but at the same time it's bigger and more aggressive than its victim and could be a male. It runs and hides from the MRDG.
4. Kate, Unsexed Young Pearl Gourami II -> picks on no one, runs and hides
5. Flor, Female Orange Thick-lipped Gourami -> picks on no one, runs and hides

None of the bottom feeders pick on anyone, and no gouramis pick on them.

Should I move both pearl gourami to a separate tank, even though they might be both males? Should I move the more peaceful FTLG and PG to that tank and leave the males to sort it out among them? Or should I just move the more aggressive MRDG to his own tank and see how it plays out?

Thanks in advance for all feedback, I'll keep you posted.

veggieshark

Tony and Flor need a room, so do Williiam and Kate. George doesn't play well with others.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, welcome to Fishlore.

I think your best bet is separating the different species into tanks of their own. While it's perfectly possible to keep multiple species quite peacefully together, in my experience that's usually in bigger tanks with larger groups of fish. I would personally exclude Dwarf Gourami from a list of Gourami you could keep together.

The Pearls will eventually need a bigger tank anyway, while not the biggest they are still a sizable Gourami.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
EdieBadedie
Replies
Views
finstastic
Replies
Views
Mii