Tips For Reducing Outflow On Cascade 1000

Willed
I think there is a bit too much water movement in my aquarium (36 gallon).
What are some tips for reducing this? I'd rather not use the spray bar for aesthetic reasons but may have to.
Can I reduce the outflow on the canister filter by partially closing the outflow switch? I read somewhere it is safe to do that on the outflow just not the inflow, but I'm still not sure.
I feel like it's a powerful filter for my aquarium so I'm open to tips on reducing current.
Thanks!

finnipper59
For me, aiming the water straight accross the tank diffuses the water in each direction. There are areas in the tank with very little water flow. I have the same filter in a 30 gallon tank that even has a betta in it. He fights a little current once in awhile, but finds many areas to to hover.
I think there is a bit too much water movement in my aquarium (36 gallon).
What are some tips for reducing this? I'd rather not use the spray bar for aesthetic reasons but may have to.
Can I reduce the outflow on the canister filter by partially closing the outflow switch? I read somewhere it is safe to do that on the outflow just not the inflow, but I'm still not sure.
I feel like it's a powerful filter for my aquarium so I'm open to tips on reducing current.
Thanks!

Willed
This is my setup.
Cardinals just arrived today so on the one hand it's normal to have them all grouped up and in a corner. I feel like they can get used to new current to an extent. When I see them not use their fins for a moment and then get carried across the tank I feel really bad. In the area pictured they can rest and it seems to not be a strain on them. Literally all of them more or less stay there but it's only been 6 hours.

Sh
This is my setup.
Cardinals just arrived today so on the one hand it's normal to have them all grouped up and in a corner. I feel like they can get used to new current to an extent. When I see them not use their fins for a moment and then get carried across the tank I feel really bad. In the area pictured they can rest and it seems to not be a strain on them. Literally all of them more or less stay there but it's only been 6 hours.
Should I pop off that output "hood"? I'm not good with basic physics so I'm not sure. Is your hood setup down not above? I couldn't figure how to have mine "down"
Thank you for your response finnipper59

Attachments

• 15290197528391128242563132031239.jpg
    15290197528391128242563132031239.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 15290198077348292362227188738130.jpg
    15290198077348292362227188738130.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 106
finnipper59
My flow director is pushing the water slightly up so there is a lot of surface flow but primarily hits the other side of the tank. Try it just slightly upward. If tbe water hits the other side of the tank, it spreads the current in both directions with less force.
Sh

Should I pop off that output "hood"? I'm not good with basic physics so I'm not sure. Is your hood setup down not above? I couldn't figure how to have mine "down"
Thank you for your response finnipper59

Willed
My flow director is pushing the water slightly up so there is a lot of surface flow but primarily hits the other side of the tank. Try it just slightly upward. If tbe water hits the other side of the tank, it spreads the current in both directions with less force.

I didn't know it had that adjustability! It seems like only one "notch" up is available but I'll take it! Thanks.
Your flow director affixes to the top half of the outflow pipe correct?
I just swapped it to the bottom half because I thought it would make more sense in terms of flow.

finnipper59
I didn't know it had that adjustability! It seems like only one "notch" up is available but I'll take it! Thanks.
Your flow director affixes to the top half of the outflow pipe correct?
I just swapped it to the bottom half because I thought it would make more sense in terms of flow.
It should be able to swivel all around the output tube and gets put behind the ring on the output tube so it can't slip off.

Lunas
you could also diy a spray bar... I used a home made one on my fluval 305 before I upgraded to a sunsun filter...

Willed
It should be able to swivel all around the output tube and gets put behind the ring on the output tube so it can't slip off.
Right I learned that, but how is yours affixed? I swapped mine to the bottom half and already the tetra seem more adventurous but many plants have more sway. I will tinker with it more and see how they do as they are more comfortable. Still debating spray bar tbh.
Thank you so much for helping me realize something rather obvious.

you could also diy a spray bar... I used a home made one on my fluval 305 before I upgraded to a sunsun filter...
That's honestly a great suggestion. Mine does come with one though. I just had an aesthetic preference for the standard outflow. Fish come first though so I'm not sure yet.

finnipper59
Right I learned that, but how is yours affixed? I swapped mine to the bottom half and already the tetra seem more adventurous but many plants have more sway. I will tinker with it more and see how they do as they are more comfortable. Still debating spray bar tbh.
Thank you so much for helping me realize something rather obvious.
You're welcome

Willed
You're welcome
Lol ok I'm going to include a picture of mine. Is yours like this, or is it oriented in the reverse?

Attachments

• 15290236571061455662609782190955.jpg
    15290236571061455662609782190955.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 91
finnipper59
Lol ok I'm going to include a picture of mine. Is yours like this, or is it oriented in the reverse?
That's the way I have mine as well.

Willed
Ok cool. Mine had been the opposite at the start of the post. I'll see what happens.

finnipper59
I do have question. Is that a philodendron or a pothos plant you have by your filter tube?

Willed
I do have question. Is that a philodendron or a pothos plant you have by your filter tube?

Haha! I wish! In a few months I'll look into real plants.
It's a convincing artificial

finnipper59
Haha! I wish! In a few months I'll look into real plants.
It's a convincing artificial
Thanks for the url. I just did a 1 click order for one. I really like it. My only live plants that I placed in the back as cuttings. The Pothos cuttings rooted quickly, are growing well, and suck up nitrates like crazy. The back of the tank looks cluttered, but it looks nice from the front.
b745fd55d18e0d6627e72cc71bc29f7b.jpg

Lunas
That's honestly a great suggestion. Mine does come with one though. I just had an aesthetic preference for the standard outflow. Fish come first though so I'm not sure yet.
most of the ones I have dealt with are not too visible high and near the top of the tank. the flow and turnover of the water helps keep things off the substrate too.

Willed
Thanks for the url. I just did a 1 click order for one. I really like it. My only live plants that I placed in the back as cuttings. The Pothos cuttings rooted quickly, are growing well, and suck up nitrates like crazy. The back of the tank looks cluttered, but it looks nice from the front.View attachment 447354
Wow seems to be thriving! Glad I could help some way in return.

most of the ones I have dealt with are not too visible high and near the top of the tank. the flow and turnover of the water helps keep things off the substrate too.
Gosh darn it lol, I’ll still think about it for sure.

PS they are starting to venture out more, I positioned it even more aggressively up! Makes a water sound unfortunately but I’ll leave it for now.

PatientStars
I have my spray bar on and you can't see it at all in the tank. It sits high enough that the only way you could spot is either by sitting on the ground and looking up toward the back of the tank, or if you look directly down from the top where I have it attached. I have the bar aimed at the aquarium glass also, which helps cut down on any currents that would be too strong. I've got a 50 gal of nano varieties that don't do well with a strong output!

Willed
I have my spray bar on and you can't see it at all in the tank. It sits high enough that the only way you could spot is either by sitting on the ground and looking up toward the back of the tank, or if you look directly down from the top where I have it attached. I have the bar aimed at the aquarium glass also, which helps cut down on any currents that would be too strong. I've got a 50 gal of nano varieties that don't do well with a strong output!
Thank you, I’ll consider it. Main viewing angle for me is below the tank, from the coach. It would be conspicuous, but truly not a big deal. I might end up setting it up after all.

PatientStars
Thank you, I’ll consider it. Main viewing angle for me is below the tank, from the coach. It would be conspicuous, but truly not a big deal. I might end up setting it up after all.

Good luck! Your fish will thank you for taking one for the team. Haha

Also, you can reduce the input and output equally to help reduce the flow. I did it on mine and have no problems. Just be sure to open them all the way when you first restart it after cleaning.

Willed
Good luck! Your fish will thank you for taking one for the team. Haha

Also, you can reduce the input and output equally to help reduce the flow. I did it on mine and have no problems. Just be sure to open them all the way when you first restart it after cleaning.
Hmm I really want to play with that. That harkens back to my OP. I had read it can be lowered on the output but input might be hard on the impeller. Both equally sounds interesting. Yours is a 1/4 or 1/3 closed or so?
Also I don’t have an air stone so I think it still needs to be pointed toward the tank/water surface.

So I tried the spray bar and in the way I had to configure it for now, (agitating the water surface for oxygenation) I was surprised that the current was way too much on my canister filter. Loved the uniformity of the surface agitation, but it made the tank downright turbulent. In the future I may try again pointing the spray bar against the glass wall when/if I install an air stone.

Status update, they are exploring the tank

PatientStars
Hmm I really want to play with that. That harkens back to my OP. I had read it can be lowered on the output but input might be hard on the impeller. Both equally sounds interesting. Yours is a 1/4 or 1/3 closed or so?
Also I don’t have an air stone so I think it still needs to be pointed toward the tank/water surface.

So I tried the spray bar and in the way I had to configure it for now, (agitating the water surface for oxygenation) I was surprised that the current was way too much on my canister filter. Loved the uniformity of the surface agitation, but it made the tank downright turbulent. In the future I may try again pointing the spray bar against the glass wall when/if I install an air stone.

Status update, they are exploring the tank

Here's a photo of where mine are set. My spray bar, while pointed at the glass, is actually sort of on an angle so that it also breaks the surface of the water. That forces the current down the back wall and by the time it gets to the bottom most of the force has dissipated. The other pics are of the spray bar from above, and one to show you how much surface agitation it provides.
15290989889478947367869996358990.jpg
15290991111492657808032032738756.jpg
15290991420306782727751521096350.jpg

Willed
Here's a photo of where mine are set. My spray bar, while pointed at the glass, is actually sort of on an angle so that it also breaks the surface of the water. That forces the current down the back wall and by the time it gets to the bottom most of the force has dissipated. The other pics are of the spray bar from above, and one to show you how much surface agitation it provides. View attachment 447537 View attachment 447538 View attachment 447539

Ok I'm going to try that for sure now. Thanks for taking the time to show me!

Also is that a GFCI box on your outlet?

Mom2some
Totally off topic - many fish adjust better to tanks if you turn the lights off when you first introduce them - decreases stress. Good luck!

PatientStars
Ok I'm going to try that for sure now. Thanks for taking the time to show me!

Also is that a GFCI box on your outlet?

It's just an adapter. I used to have something plugged in here that required a USB port, and this gives me that option.

Willed
Totally off topic - many fish adjust better to tanks if you turn the lights off when you first introduce them - decreases stress. Good luck!

True. I did that! I’m just realized having the lights o
Here's a photo of where mine are set. My spray bar, while pointed at the glass, is actually sort of on an angle so that it also breaks the surface of the water. That forces the current down the back wall and by the time it gets to the bottom most of the force has dissipated. The other pics are of the spray bar from above, and one to show you how much surface agitation it provides. View attachment 447537 View attachment 447538 View attachment 447539

OK! last night I came home to what may have been a school of exhausted cardinals, and decided after much tinkering with the default lily style adjustable flow type to try the spray bar again. I couldn’t even find more than 8 cardinals and was really worried even though it was night time. I followed your advice and oriented it up and back instead of up and facing forward, at just the right angle. I can tell this morning it’s much better for them, when they get to previous “hotspots” I can see them able to linger and not get swept along the current.
You really helped me out with this situation!!! In the future I might go back but for now they need to build up their strength and not be discouraged to move around more of the tank.

Mom2some
True. I did that! I’m just realized having the lights o

OK! last night I came home to what may have been a school of exhausted cardinals, and decided after much tinkering with the default lily style adjustable flow type to try the spray bar again. I couldn’t even find more than 8 cardinals and was really worried even though it was night time. I followed your advice and oriented it up and back instead of up and facing forward, at just the right angle. I can tell this morning it’s much better for them, when they get to previous “hotspots” I can see them able to linger and not get swept along the current.
You really helped me out with this situation!!! In the future I might go back but for now they need to build up their strength and not be discouraged to move around more of the tank.

Glad you found a good solution! Fishlore is such an awesome resource for ideas )for me at least).

Willed
Glad you found a good solution! Fishlore is such an awesome resource for ideas )for me at least).
My reply to you was cut off. I was saying having the lights off seems to keep my newly arrived Rams civil. The male has been a troublemaker, but I have a theory he does the chasing when he's stressing out ie when a really bright light floods the tank.

finnipper59
My reply to you was cut off. I was saying having the lights off seems to keep my newly arrived Rams civil. The male has been a troublemaker, but I have a theory he does the chasing when he's stressing out ie when a really bright light floods the tank.
Good time to explain fish eyes. Fish have all the same parts as our eyes do. When light gets brighter, our iris closes a little so our pupils get smaller letting in less light and open more when it is getting darker. A fish's eyes (with exception of sharks) pupils stay open all the time. They handle light that their natural species gets in their environment, such as shady estuaries or sunny lakes. Their eyes do adjust to light getting brighter in the morning by their cones and rods retracting in their retinas. Then as the sun sets, the rods and cones in retina comes farther out again. This process takes about an hour rather than a few seconds like our iris adjusts. A lot of people wonder why so many fish hide that don't normally hide. It's because they're seeking shade. It's also why some fish freak out when a bright aquarium light is suddenly switched on. In a completely dark room, fish are blind an should have a nite light in the room. They are somewhat blind anyway when to tank light is shut off until their eyes adjust to the nite light.

AmStatic
Here's how I handled too much outflow from my fluval206 (note: this is on one of the two canisters on mine.. one agitates water the length of the tank. The second one made it like a hurricane in there).

The outflow enters the tank through an old HOB intake.. nice...gentle...flow without any force.

Apologies for the condition of the tank.. 3d background arrives tomorrow!

1532995028643.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bassbonediva
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies
Views
Islandvic