Tips For Reducing Outflow On Cascade 1000

1. Willed

Willed Valued Member Member

I think there is a bit too much water movement in my aquarium (36 gallon).
    What are some tips for reducing this? I'd rather not use the spray bar for aesthetic reasons but may have to.
    Can I reduce the outflow on the canister filter by partially closing the outflow switch? I read somewhere it is safe to do that on the outflow just not the inflow, but I'm still not sure.
    I feel like it's a powerful filter for my aquarium so I'm open to tips on reducing current.
    Thanks!

2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

For me, aiming the water straight accross the tank diffuses the water in each direction. There are areas in the tank with very little water flow. I have the same filter in a 30 gallon tank that even has a betta in it. He fights a little current once in awhile, but finds many areas to to hover.

3. OP
    OP
    Willed

This is my setup.
    Cardinals just arrived today so on the one hand it's normal to have them all grouped up and in a corner. I feel like they can get used to new current to an extent. When I see them not use their fins for a moment and then get carried across the tank I feel really bad. In the area pictured they can rest and it seems to not be a strain on them. Literally all of them more or less stay there but it's only been 6 hours.

Sh
    Should I pop off that output "hood"? I'm not good with basic physics so I'm not sure. Is your hood setup down not above? I couldn't figure how to have mine "down"
    Thank you for your response @finnipper59

Attached Files:

4. finnipper59

My flow director is pushing the water slightly up so there is a lot of surface flow but primarily hits the other side of the tank. Try it just slightly upward. If tbe water hits the other side of the tank, it spreads the current in both directions with less force.

5. OP
    OP
    Willed

I didn't know it had that adjustability! It seems like only one "notch" up is available but I'll take it! Thanks.
    Your flow director affixes to the top half of the outflow pipe correct?
    I just swapped it to the bottom half because I thought it would make more sense in terms of flow.

6. finnipper59

It should be able to swivel all around the output tube and gets put behind the ring on the output tube so it can't slip off.

7. Lunas

Lunas Well Known Member Member

you could also diy a spray bar... i used a home made one on my fluval 305 before i upgraded to a sunsun filter...

8. OP
    OP
    Willed

Right I learned that, but how is yours affixed? I swapped mine to the bottom half and already the tetra seem more adventurous but many plants have more sway. I will tinker with it more and see how they do as they are more comfortable. Still debating spray bar tbh.
    Thank you so much for helping me realize something rather obvious.

That's honestly a great suggestion. Mine does come with one though. I just had an aesthetic preference for the standard outflow. Fish come first though so I'm not sure yet.

9. finnipper59

You're welcome

10. OP
    OP
    Willed

Lol ok I'm going to include a picture of mine. Is yours like this, or is it oriented in the reverse?

Attached Files:

11. finnipper59

That's the way I have mine as well.

12. OP
    OP
    Willed

Ok cool. Mine had been the opposite at the start of the post. I'll see what happens.

13. finnipper59

I do have question. Is that a philodendron or a pothos plant you have by your filter tube?

14. OP
    OP
    Willed

15. finnipper59

Thanks for the url. I just did a 1 click order for one. I really like it. My only live plants that I placed in the back as cuttings. The Pothos cuttings rooted quickly, are growing well, and suck up nitrates like crazy. The back of the tank looks cluttered, but it looks nice from the front. b745fd55d18e0d6627e72cc71bc29f7b.jpg

16. Lunas

Lunas Well Known Member Member

most of the ones i have dealt with are not too visible high and near the top of the tank. the flow and turnover of the water helps keep things off the substrate too.

17. OP
    OP
    Willed

Wow seems to be thriving! Glad I could help some way in return.

Gosh darn it lol, I’ll still think about it for sure.

PS they are starting to venture out more, I positioned it even more aggressively up! Makes a water sound unfortunately but I’ll leave it for now.

18. PatientStars

PatientStars Valued Member Member

I have my spray bar on and you can't see it at all in the tank. It sits high enough that the only way you could spot is either by sitting on the ground and looking up toward the back of the tank, or if you look directly down from the top where I have it attached. I have the bar aimed at the aquarium glass also, which helps cut down on any currents that would be too strong. I've got a 50 gal of nano varieties that don't do well with a strong output!

19. OP
    OP
    Willed

Thank you, I’ll consider it. Main viewing angle for me is below the tank, from the coach. It would be conspicuous, but truly not a big deal. I might end up setting it up after all.

20. PatientStars

PatientStars Valued Member Member

Good luck! Your fish will thank you for taking one for the team. Haha

Also, you can reduce the input and output equally to help reduce the flow. I did it on mine and have no problems. Just be sure to open them all the way when you first restart it after cleaning.