Tips for planting?

Jenay

I have a plant-only tank FULL of Brazilian Pennywort, and Hydrocotyl Tri... Japan something or other. They're beautiful and healthy, and I want to plant them in a couple tanks.

Both tanks have Caribsea Eco-Complete, and I use root tabs to supplement the Thrive fertilizer I add a couple times per month. I'll be removing all of the Watersprite in them to make room.

My problem is that when I've planted the Pennywort in the past, it seems to just want to rot under the surface, then becomes a floating plant.

I've also seen pictures of tanks that have Brazilian Pennywort planted, and it looks nice as essentially a stem plant, and I can't figure out where I've gone wrong. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll end up with the same thing happening to the hydro...tri...japan stuff. I'd like to plant that as a mid-ground "shrub", for lack of a better term.

I'd really appreciate some tips or tricks on planting these things.

I've got excellent lighting, and I do fertilize, but I don't use co2. The plants currently in the tanks are thriving, so these two should transplant quite well.

ProudPapa

I just got my first Brazilian Pennywort a few weeks ago, and initially had trouble getting it to stay planted in my pool filter sand. I think some of the plants came out and floated 3 times or more. I just kept re-planting them, and eventually they stuck.

I generally trim stem plants when they reach the top of the water, but I'm liking the way the pennywort leaves float on top when the plants get tall enough. I kinda hate to trim them, but I can't get new plants without doing that.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

I think the growth pattern is heavily dependent on light and CO2 with these species. My hydrocotyle grew in a pattern almost like java moss in my low tech. Just a big ball spreading in every direction.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JLAquatics
Replies
Views
Bikebookbread
Replies
Views
babykitten