Tips For Moving Shrimp To New Tank

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a colony of snowball cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon. I am planning on moving them into a 15 gallon column tank sometime in the next few weeks. The tank has been set up for at least a month now. It has good algae growth and live plants. I am switching the old filter into the new tank, as well as some of the driftwood, rocks, and plants.

What i am most concerned about is actually moving the shrimp over. Do i just catch them in a shrimp net, add to them to a bucket of old tank water, then slowly acclimate them to the new tank water? The tank water will be very similar, but the gh/kh is going to be a little different though i am currently working on increasing the gH/kH in the new tank. I think it may be best to do this over the course of a few days. I am concerned i will miss some shrimp so giving myself a few days to catch any stragglers may be good. After i move the shrimp over, my betta will go into the 10 gallon. I don't want to move him in immediately lest he make any lost shrimp into snacks.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

akcarroll12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a colony of snowball cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon. I am planning on moving them into a 15 gallon column tank sometime in the next few weeks. The tank has been set up for at least a month now. It has good algae growth and live plants. I am switching the old filter into the new tank, as well as some of the driftwood, rocks, and plants.

What i am most concerned about is actually moving the shrimp over. Do i just catch them in a shrimp net, add to them to a bucket of old tank water, then slowly acclimate them to the new tank water? The tank water will be very similar, but the gh/kh is going to be a little different though i am currently working on increasing the gH/kH in the new tank. I think it may be best to do this over the course of a few days. I am concerned i will miss some shrimp so giving myself a few days to catch any stragglers may be good. After i move the shrimp over, my betta will go into the 10 gallon. I don't want to move him in immediately lest he make any lost shrimp into snacks.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
What you described thinking about doing sounds right.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom