Tips For Frogs

1. Nicoldeme Member Member

Hey, so I'm getting an African Dwarf Frog really soon, and I just wanted some tips on keeping them! Any extra bits of info I wouldn't find anywhere else? Special foods? Plants they like? Just want to make sure I can give my new baby a good life :) Also, info on sexing them would be great!

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Nicoldeme !
    You'll love keeping African Dwarf Frogs. I know I do along with several other members.

This should tell you most everything you need to know.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/amphibians/36417-care-sheet-african-dwarf-frogs.html

Usually frogs at the store are too young to sex but sometimes you can.

Plants aren't covered in the care sheet but they do enjoy resting on them or in them.
    I avoid java moss. It was growing so thick I was afraid they'd get tangles in or their little toe nails would catch.

I have java ferns, anubias and marimo bals in my frog tanks.

If something isn't covered just ask. We'll be happy to help. :)

3. Nicoldeme Member Member

Thanks for the link :) So can I put his food on a stick and feed him that way so he won't gobble any gravel? And there's a space at the back of the hood that is uncovered, would taping filter floss there work to keep him in?

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Plastic mesh craft sheets cut to size work well but as long as it's covered you should be fine.

ADF's lunge for theory their food. I'd be afraid that they could get poked with the stick.
    I used blunt plastic tweezers (like reptile tweezers) others use a turkey baster or even chop sticks.

Other people put their food in a small glass or terra cotta dish (no glaze or paint).
    I used to do that when I had two but now it's every frog for themselves/
    Except for one smarty who swims up to grab food of the tweezers.

5. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I have 4 ADFs myself, I find they like to be with each other nearly all the time, so maybe you could get two instead of one? Its not required, just think they might be happier like that.
    Also, mine seem to also really like hiding under the marimo moss balls in my tank ;)

6. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I use a tiny plate meant for condiments I bought at World Market. The frogs congregate around it even if the pellets or bloodworms don't actually all hit the plate.

Live food like freshly hatched brine shrimp are good. Hunting keeps them entertained, and gives them exercise.

Hollow tubes or logs are good, frogs like to nap in them during the daytime.

More than one frog is good, they like buddies. But once you get your frogs, don't add to the tank without quarentining them first.

You may want to treat your new frogs for Chytrid fungus even if they appear healthy because they can carry spores.

7. Nicoldeme Member Member

Oh cool. As for getting multiple frogs, I'm already pushing how many I can fit, it's a 2.5, so I don't want to squeeze them too much. I would have put the in my ten, but it's lidless. As for feeding them, I'll just get tweezers ;) Thanks for the help though

8. Kell1980 Initiate Member

I have 3 adf's and I feed using frozen foods which I thaw out in a plastic cup with a small amount of the tank water in which I sit on top of the canopy over the light to thaw out. Once thawed I tip it back in near the filter outlet which disperses it out over the tank and it instantly sinks to the bottom for them to forage around for. Just a little tip

9. Nicoldeme Member Member

Thx :)