Resource icon

Tips for fish-in cycling your freshwater aquarium

StinkyLoaf
CrustyDusty submitted a new resource:

Tips for fish-in cycling your freshwater aquarium - Tips on cycling a tank containing fish and how to succeed in doing so. Key info is highlighted red.

Fish-in cycling is not recommended for any hobbyist if there is an option of cycling methods. It is strongly advised that all hobbyists use the fishless cycle rather than cycling with fish. However there are some circumstances that can give a fishkeeper no other choice than to use a fish-in cycle, such as misinformation being provided and parameter spikes. Even if a tank has previously cycled a fish-in cycle period...
Read more about this resource...

Bettalover29
I would definitely not recommend doing a fish-in cycle if you don't have to. I get the want for fish immediately but take the time to cycle your tank before introducing fish. In the long run it'll be better for them not being exposed to high ammonia and Nitrite.

StinkyLoaf
Bettalover29 said:
I would definitely not recommend doing a fish-in cycle if you don't have to. I get the want for fish immediately but take the time to cycle your tank before introducing fish. In the long run it'll be better for them not being exposed to high ammonia and Nitrite.
Yep. As I stated in the article there is no reason you should fish-in cycle if you have the facilities to cycle with the fishless method.

Lomein
I am a bit confused about the water change part. Should I only do the 30-50% once my ammonia/nitrite reaches 1ppm or do like 10% water changes daily even though it's below that level? Right now my Ammonia is 0.25 and Nitrite/Nitrate is 0.

StinkyLoaf
Lomein said:
I am a bit confused about the water change part. Should I only do the 30-50% once my ammonia/nitrite reaches 1ppm or do like 10% water changes daily even though it's below that level? Right now my Ammonia is 0.25 and Nitrite/Nitrate is 0.
Hi! When ammonia and nitrite add up to 1ppm or higher you should aim to do a 50% water change. You shouldn’t have to do a water change unless this happens.

I’ll edit the article so it says this.

babyfish
Hi CrustyDusty, you seem like the right person to seek help from. (I hope that's OK) I really need to ask someone!!!!

I have a little problem here, and I am considering doing a fish in cycle. I mainly want to know if you think I should do the full cycle, or just put my fish in it.

I have a convict cichlid with a 'depression' problem. She is in a 6.5 gallon tank, and is quiet big. I know she needs more room, and I bought a bigger tank for her yesterday (it is currently cycling) My problem is that she seems to be getting worse, and this bigger tank I have might fix her up. So.... I am considering doing a fish-in cycle? I don't know if this is right or wrong, so I would really appreciate some help on this.

And great article, I read through it all!

StinkyLoaf
babyfish said:
Hi CrustyDusty, you seem like the right person to seek help from. (I hope that's OK) I really need to ask someone!!!!

I have a little problem here, and I am considering doing a fish in cycle. I mainly want to know if you think I should do the full cycle, or just put my fish in it.

I have a convict cichlid with a 'depression' problem. She is in a 6.5 gallon tank, and is quiet big. I know she needs more room, and I bought a bigger tank for her yesterday (it is currently cycling) My problem is that she seems to be getting worse, and this bigger tank I have might fix her up. So.... I am considering doing a fish-in cycle? I don't know if this is right or wrong, so I would really appreciate some help on this.

And great article, I read through it all!
Hi! Fishless cycles are short lived compared to fish-in cycles (I did one in a few weeks earlier this year), but if you can keep ammonia and nitrite combined below 1ppm during the cycle then I predict the convict will survive a fish-in cycle. Once the bacteria can keep ammonia and nitrite both at 0ppm you’re good to go. Just be prepared to do some water changing should you choose to convict-in cycle.

How large is her new tank? Tank size is an important variable to consider when cycling.

babyfish
CrustyDusty said:
Hi! Fishless cycles are short lived compared to fish-in cycles (I did one in a few weeks earlier this year), but if you can keep ammonia and nitrite combined below 1ppm during the cycle then I predict the convict will survive a fish-in cycle. Once the bacteria can keep ammonia and nitrite both at 0ppm you’re good to go. Just be prepared to do some water changing should you choose to convict-in cycle.

How large is her new tank? This could control some variables, so to speak.
Thank you for answering my question!

The tank is a 20g long. (I have another story about this)

So I got a 55g tank 2 weeks ago and planned to get her into that..... Until my house flooded (the tank cracked) Any way I was not able to get a 55g again, so here I am with a 20g long. It will take a couple months until I get a 55g again, cause I got to fix up the stand.

StinkyLoaf
babyfish said:
Thank you for answering my question!

The tank is a 20g long. (I have another story about this)

So I got a 55g tank 2 weeks ago and planned to get her into that..... Until my house flooded (the tank cracked) Any way I was not able to get a 55g again, so here I am with a 20g long. It will take a couple months until I get a 55g again, cause I got to fix up the stand.
20 gallons should be ok actually. It’s better than 6.5 gallons for sure. I’m sorry to hear that your 55 gallon was destroyed in a flood.

You should be good to go! If you feel confident on fish-in cycling then you can try it. Why not use media from the 6.5 gallon to jumpstart the cycle? :smug:

There’s no signs of illness in your convict is there?

babyfish
CrustyDusty said:
20 gallons should be ok actually. It’s better than 6.5 gallons for sure. I’m sorry to hear that your 55 gallon was destroyed in a flood.

You should be good to go! If you feel confident on fish-in cycling then you can try it. Why not use media from the 6.5 gallon to jumpstart the cycle? :smug:

There’s no signs of illness in your convict is there?
Yes, I might be able to jumpstart it! it is actually a 10 gallon divided tank but she has the bigger side. And I don't think she has any illness, she looks fine, and always swims around when she see's me..... But when she doesn't think I can see her she goes to sit on the bottom looking all depressed.

StinkyLoaf
babyfish said:
Yes, I might be able to jumpstart it! it is actually a 10 gallon divided tank but she has the bigger side. And I don't think she has any illness, she looks fine, and always swims around when she see's me..... But when she doesn't think I can see her she goes to sit on the bottom looking all depressed.
Definitely transfer media over then. There’s no reason not to unless there’s still some fish in the 10 gallon.

She must be bored in that tank. It’s so sweet how she tries to interact with you, and playfulness is a trait that all cichlids seem to have. :angelic:

I’m off to bed now. I hope you find a solution to making your fish as happy as can be! :happy:

babyfish
CrustyDusty said:
Definitely transfer media over then. There’s no reason not to unless there’s still some fish in the 10 gallon.

She must be bored in that tank. It’s so sweet how she tries to interact with you, and playfulness is a trait that all cichlids seem to have. :angelic:

I’m off to bed now. I hope you find a solution to making your fish as happy as can be! :happy:
Thank you so much for all your help!, hopefully it works out!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom