Tips For Beginner Reptile Keepers?

m.b

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hello! i'm looking into beginning to keep reptiles in the future after my first few aquariums are established and running smoothly.
any tips and ideas for beginners? such as good species for beginners, good tanks, good lighting, etc.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should decide on a species before figuring out what all you need for it!

Are you limited to a certain tank size?

Preference on what to feed (ie. Live insects, frozen mice, just veggies)?

Anything you've seen so far strike your fancy?

m.b

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
wodesorel said:
You should decide on a species before figuring out what all you need for it!

Are you limited to a certain tank size?

Preference on what to feed (ie. Live insects, frozen mice, just veggies)?

Anything you've seen so far strike your fancy?
so far i like leopard geckos and bearded dragons!!
i want something that looks harmless because my mom doesnt like reptiles LUL
and i can go for any tank size as long as the price dooesn't go over 200$ and i'm fine with feeding it anything but live mice o.o

bettas&cories

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, I got my first reptile a couple of months ago, I decided on a crested gecko. They are probably one of the easiest reptiles. As long as your house stays in the mid to upper 70s F, you shouldn't need any supplemental heat, I do use a heat lamp sparingly in the winter. They do need humidity , I mist mine cage down twice a day to bring it up to around 80% and let it dry out in between. Also feeding them is pretty easy, you can feed them a powdered crested gecko diet, that you mix with water ( kinda like a smoothie ) You can also feed insects as a treat, mine gets crickets once a week ,and every couple of weeks I dust them with calcium and D3 powder. As far as tank size , mine stays in a 20 long tank turned on it's side because they are climbers they prefer height to ground space. They also love vines and foliage to hide in. Good luck, reptiles are very fun and interesting pets .

Attachments

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bearded dragons are a lot more work than people think. As adults they need a 75 gallon tank. I would settle for something like a crested gecko, they’re great for beginners. You would need an 18x18x24 enclosure for it, plenty of vines and plants to climb on (I’m talking a LOT. Cram as much crud in the tank as you can. They love to climb and the more stuff, the more secure they feel). Only ONE crested gecko per tank as you are not experienced in keeping them yet. Some can keep females together, but it isn’t recommended unless you’re able to keep a watchful eye over them most of the day. Feed either CGD brand Pangea or Rapashy. They’re the most reputable brands out there. ZooMed CGD and anything else isn’t very quality in the way of ingredients.

I forgot to add, an ExoTerra makes 18x18x24 enclosures that are perfect for cresteds, and as long as your house is in the mid 70s you won’t need any form of heat (usually only needed in the winter months), and any UVB hood or even UVB dome light would work perfectly. UVB isn’t necessary, but I always say it’s better safe than sorry. Dusting your insects (crickets, Dubai roaches, etc.) with a calcium power is also a must!

aBettaNamedRoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I purchased my first reptile a month ago, and totally recommend a crested gecko. They're easy to handle, visually very cute, and they aren't demanding with their care. Because my room gets warm, I don't currently have a heating system in use, though he may prefer one in the winter. He is in a 20 gallon long tank flipped vertically, and it doesn't take up that much room. However, I did go for a more pricey terrarium build with a planted vivarium. I have a guinea chestnut and a snake plant, which he loves to climb on! I made a faux cliff background and added springtails, to maintain the waste. This means that mold or other moisture related growths are naturally destroyed, limiting how often I have to clean the tank. I typically keep his terrarium in the mid to high 70s during the day, and low 70s to upper 60s during the night. If your house is normally that temperature, you don't have to have a light or heater! I mist twice a day until the humidity reads in the upper 60th or 70th percentile. He eats Repashy MRP, with crickets twice a month, dusted in calcium. My crestie also loves raspberries, so he gets some of those.
Crested geckos are great animals with low care requirements. If I had known how easy they were to keep, would have gotten more instead of fish! Also, I have not mentioned that they are really, really, really great to handle. Their skin is so soft, and though they can jump many cresties I know are very calm.
P.S. I wouldn't suggest a bearded dragon as a beginner reptile just because they need a lot of care and space, easily getting costly. I think leopard geckos are great! I don't really have a preference between leopard and crested geckos, but cresties are less financially demanding (leopards require heating and lighting, which can get expensive).

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got a bearded dragon. Made his own jungle. Not only that, he goes outside all the time. He's a wonderful pet.
1529330495741.jpg
20180608_184613.jpg

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah73 said:
I got a bearded dragon. Made his own jungle. Not only that, he goes outside all the time. He's a wonderful pet. View attachment 448085View attachment 448086
He is awesome! Don't want this to come across wrong, but please check that his UVB is set up properly, it is vital that he spends enough time underneath it at the correct distance. That usually means having it in the same location as the heat lamp as he will seak out warmth to bask. UVB is also only good within a foot or two of the bulb, depending on brand and stregth. (It'll say on thr package.) I rescue reptiles that have not been set up correctly, and the deformities and damage that can occur without the right suppliments and UVB over time is horrifying!

CanadianFishFan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Leopard gecko and crested geckos are great for beginners, but get a adult when first starting out. DO NOT listen to what pet store people tell you about these animals. do your own research!

Sarah73

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wodesorel said:
He is awesome! Don't want this to come across wrong, but please check that his UVB is set up properly, it is vital that he spends enough time underneath it at the correct distance. That usually means having it in the same location as the heat lamp as he will seak out warmth to bask. UVB is also only good within a foot or two of the bulb, depending on brand and stregth. (It'll say on thr package.) I rescue reptiles that have not been set up correctly, and the deformities and damage that can occur without the right suppliments and UVB over time is horrifying!
He can literally feel how hot his belly is...which i thought they couldn't. Anyway the reason it's on the top is because there isn't enough space for another light. There is see through plastic where he gets both lights on him.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom