Tips And Recommendations

1. B

BroitSerg Initiate Member

So when I first started this new hobby I was extremely unaware how overstocked my tank was (4 tiger barbs, 2 sterbai corydoras, and a pleco). I only had a 10 gallon tank and was constantly having ammonia problems. I scavenged all thrift stores for a new tank and luckily found a 20 gallon for a good price. When I started this 20 gallon I used my first 5 to 15 gallon aqua tech filter and bought a new 20 to 40 gallon aqua tech filter and have been using both. After 3 days it was as if my fish started to get sick and die a fish died every day for four days. One fish would swim to the top and just hang out while all the other fish would continue like it's normal. It has now been one week since the death of four of my fish and now I have only 2 tiger barbs and 1 pleco in my 20 gallon. I do not plan on getting anymore fish as of right now. And would only like to make sure this does not happen again. I want to make sure my fish are happy and healthy any tips, recommendations to prevent any illnesses and water problems would be awesome I appreciate all replies. 20180526_081632.jpg

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Your tank probably isn't cycled with that many fish (and all the ammonia). What are your water readings?

3. OP
    OP
    B

Now I know about the cycle that's why I am not getting anymore fish. My ammonia levels are low .25 when I got my water checked 2 days ago at petsmart they said everything was good but to go back in a few days to watch the nitrates I have not gone back plan on going today

4. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

You should get the API master test kit so you can test your water at home. It's worth it in the long run, plus I've found that pet store readings aren't always accurate because they're usually in a rush.

5. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

I’ve seen more threads and posts than I can believe where staff at a fish store will describe water as OK when there are in fact serious issues.
    I wish I had more faith in people, but I think it might be related to the fact that if you the customer think your water is OK, you’re more likely to buy fish during that visit to the store. If they tell you your water is not OK, then you’re less likely to buy during that visit. The only way to guard against this is to ask the store to provide specific values from the test, or better yet watch them do the testing.
    Most folks here will tell you to buy the API master test kit, but for the short term a couple of test strips that test for nitrite, and nitrates will get you by.
    Being able to check those numbers yourself would let you know whether the beneficial bacteria in your filter survived the change from one tank to the other.
    All that said, the symptoms you briefly described are consistent with sick fish, but the cause is usually water quality. So it’s important to confirm or rule that out before taking any additional steps.
    Any chance you can get current parameters for us?

6. d

danhutchins Member Member

I agree with the others saying the tank isn't cycled but your test numbers will give everyone a better understanding of what is going on. The master kit is pretty cheap on Amazon. The pet store will tell you it's fine 1 because they want you to buy fish that day or 2 they have no idea what they are doing. A lady at my lfs tested a customers water and said it would be fine to add fish in the next 2 days after the customer telling her it was only set up for 1 day. The lady then only tested the ph so it was a good thing I was standing right there and gave much better advice, yes the lady got pretty at me for butting in and showing her up but the customer left with a better understanding of what to do.

7. OP
    OP
    B

Alright I will thank you!!!