Tips about quieting a TopFin filter?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Akari_32, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Does anyone know how to keep this dang thing quiet? Its clean, the intake is clear, its together right, etc, etc, but its noisy anyway! Most of it is the lid, always vibrating and buzzing... But the filter its self makes noises too.

2. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

When in doubt, always be physically violent and force things to turn to your will.

Of course, I've never had this issue. ;):cool:;D

3. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

That actually worked my my old MarineLand Eclipse filter LOL It stopped working at all, and then I took it on a 19 hour car ride, and it decided to work again :rolleyes:

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Have you tried getting a new filter? Worked for me ;)

Putting a heavy rock on top will keep the top from rattling, or you could put a strip or rubber stuff around the rim so that it's not plastic on plastic.

5. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I'm going to get an AC on this tank at some point lol I'm not sure if I'll use one of the ones I already have, or buy a new one.... But thats not an option right now. I just want this one to shut up XD

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

7. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I usually keep a few bottles of water conditioner on top of it. The lid isn't buzzing right now, just the filter its self. I'll take a video and see if I can get my camera to catch the sound...

8. fbn

fbnWell Known MemberMember

Give it a good spanking! ;)

9. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

10. fbn

fbnWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like a super-quality filter. No problems here! Hahaha.

By chance, you haven't ever put egg shells in your filter, correct? If you have, the shells can get minced into small pieces and get stuck in unwanted places (first-hand experience).

11. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

No...

And just now, with the lid still off, the noise I originally thought was the lid is actually coming from the filter itself, and is now even louder. I should go shove this filter up PetSmart's nose >.<

12. ploopy

ploopyValued MemberMember

Sounds like a bent impeller or the rubber coating is worn on impeller,On some of my emporers I just move the intake a little bit one way or another until it runs quietl.Another thing you can try is ,pour out the water in the filter and take out the intake and pour a little stress coat or prime in the hole where the impeller sets.The little rubber coatings will wear uneven if they are not placed in there properly.I am also starting to switch to all AC's.

13. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I primarily use ACs, but since PetSmart kits don't come with ACs, and I only had the money to upgrade my to the 5.5 gallon kit, I didn't have much of a choice on the filter.

Hmm, thats a good idea. I have some Kordon Fish Protector, which is like Stress Coat on steroids. Its nice and slimy...

14. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Do you have any Malaysian snails? I've found babies can climb up into my RCS's Top Fin filter and they end up getting crushed by the motor and impeller and slows down the flow. Occasionally I have to clean it out of crushed snails.

15. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Yeah, but I was just in the filter the other day to clean the gunk out of it (because of reduced flow), and there weren't any in there. Now its just making a low hum.

16. Ryan1824

Ryan1824Valued MemberMember

Try putting a piece of weather stripping foam on the bottom of the filter where it rests against the back of the tank. As already mentioned, it does sound like an impeller problem - double check to make sure it's seated properly.

17. Dlondon95

Dlondon95Well Known MemberMember

I just noticed the same problem with my TopFin filter yesterday. It just decided to be noisy all of a sudden.

I cleaned it out and couldn't fix it, but will 4 tanks all within 5 feet of my bed, the water sounds block out the filter sound :p

18. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

I actually know how to fix it relatively easy. I mean, its a truly easy fix that many people dont catch. Leads to hours of frustration and anger lol. The first step is to go to the LFS and get an AC big enough for the tank, now stay with me. Then go home and move all the material from the TF into the new AC and plug it in and set it in the tank, THEN take the TF and set it down on the pavement outside your house. Get in your car, turn it on and proceed to back over the TF, do this until it no longer looks like a TF and then throw it away. TADA its fixed.

19. Dlondon95

Dlondon95Well Known MemberMember

I like your thinking Sol!

Im getting my drivers license tomorrow so that may just be an option! Lol

20. Simey28

Simey28Valued MemberMember

Sounds like a problem I had with an old HOB filter. I fixed it by lubricating the impeller body (not the actual plastic blades) and shaft it sits on with Vaseline, eliminated all the noise. The problem seems to be that companys are saving money by not lubricating these small pieces. Just my :;2cents.

Goodluck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice