Tiny yellow/black pleco ID please!

MonumentalMurderBean

I bought this pleco from my lfs about a year ago, its about an inch and a half long, black with yellow patterning.
My first question is what type of pleco? I was sold it as a Bumblebee pleco but after further research it seems thats not a thing? Its not a clown, i have a full adult clown and they are very very different.
Second question is why hasnt it gotten any bigger? I have a 75g live planted aquarium with driftwood and i feed my plecs algae rounds every other day. So said plec should NOT be stunted.
*water is cloudy, i just fed the tank some frozen foods and it gets messy*

Attachments

• 16521923049578955866725229723789.jpg
    16521923049578955866725229723789.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220510_081215.jpg
    20220510_081215.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 33

DoubleDutch

To me it is a Panaquolus species which don't grow big.

MonumentalMurderBean

Yes actually, those look a more accurate overall, i think the bloodred tiger picture i saw was either incorrect or a bad example. Shes so tiny!! Cool, i love researching!
So apparently my old LFS didnt know anything about his plecos because he sold me THIS one as a clown... except thats what my tiny yellow/black one turns out to be... so what is THIS plec?! Its 5-6 inches long....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211226-085037_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211226-085037_Photos.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 26

DoubleDutch

To be honest I personally would be careful buying unknown plecospecies, cause they all have their own needs and diet.

Think the LFS owner was the Clown in this case.

MonumentalMurderBean

To be honest I personally would be careful buying unknown plecospecies, cause they all have their own needs and diet.

Think the LFS owner was the Clown in this case.
Thats why im trying to id them, i dont want anyone getting incorrect care! The other poecs in my collection i DO know, i have 2 albino bristlenoses and a superred. Now it turns out my tiny plec is a clown (i read up on it, they mainly eat driftwood so that ones set and happy)! But i want to make sure my biggest one is happy too... except i have no clue what she is! If that lfs ever opens back up i wont be going back. He also sold me a tiretrack spiney eel AS a fire eel.... now i have a fish thats gonna get 4 ft long, i intend on moving him to his own space once hes a bit bigger

DoubleDutch

Thats why im trying to id them, i dont want anyone getting incorrect care! The other poecs in my collection i DO know, i have 2 albino bristlenoses and a superred. Now it turns out my tiny plec is a clown (i read up on it, they mainly eat driftwood so that ones set and happy)! But i want to make sure my biggest one is happy too... except i have no clue what she is! If that lfs ever opens back up i wont be going back. He also sold me a tiretrack spiney eel AS a fire eel.... now i have a fish thats gonna get 4 ft long, i intend on moving him to his own space once hes a bit bigger
Not too familiar with the bigger species but isn't it a common ?

MonumentalMurderBean

Not too familiar with the bigger species but isn't it a common ?
Hahahaha thank god no, its maxed out at 5 or so inches. I grew up keeping the Commons, we had one for 12.5 years with two goldfish (someone gave me them in a 1gallon when i was two, we got them into a 50g by the time they died.) Commons are black and also get like 2.5ft long

chromedome52

If you've only had it for a year, what makes you think it is "maxed out"? It appears to be one of several species often sold as "Common" Plecos, and they vary from a foot long to 20 inches or so, depending on species. They can take as long as 5-10 years to get full size. Depends on available space, food, and clean water.

MonumentalMurderBean

If you've only had it for a year, what makes you think it is "maxed out"? It appears to be one of several species often sold as "Common" Plecos, and they vary from a foot long to 20 inches or so, depending on species. They can take as long as 5-10 years to get full size. Depends on available space, food, and clean water.
No no I have had the little guy we decided was a clown for a year, ive had my biggest going on 4 years now! Its never been in anything less than a 55gallon (75 now, 90 soon) and its kept with a few other much more delicate species so Im very particular about my water quality. Only frozen carnivore foods, algea rounds and fresh veggies are fed to the tank (veg specifically for the plecs). I do plan on starting a few live food cultures here as soon as i can afford the supplies. The bigger plec hasnt gotten any bigger than 5inches for about a year now, i got it when it was probably 1.5 inches long. I mean if it turns out to be a common i guess once it gets big it can go in the same tank as my eventually giant tiretrack eel... im thinking probably a 150 for the eel so the plec would be comfy.
Im just new to the dawrf species, the lfs (NOT the one i got misidentified fish from) i worked at for 10 months only sold commons and as far as ive seen my biggest one is a slightly different head/body shape and its a rusty orange and black coloring. I do live in a pretty difficult place to get the more unique fish tho so i could 100% be wrong. I only bought the little tiny clown and the bigger orange-ish one. The rest have been given to me from friends and regulars at my old store. When i got this bigger plec i was JUST getting into the more unique fish and planted aquariums so I trusted the lfs to steer me in the right direction... whatever she ends up being i just want to make sure she has exactly what she needs, even if thats not with me.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views
ValerieAdams
Replies
Views
Gekco
Replies
Views