Tiny worms ?

1. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

So I was performing my regular weekly water change and disturbed some of the substrate and thought I had kicked up some random poop but this was too small to be poop. They were just floating around so I thought nothing of it but then one of them wiggled its tail (!!!!!!). It was about a quarter of inch long and white ish in color but not completely opaque. Most were just floating some definitely were moving. What should I do?? Couldnt get a clear picture but Im terrified of stirring up the sand again to get them back up. This is the first water change of this new tank so not sure how long they have been there but I am thinking it could have come from some anacharis I plucked out of a local pond. I did a bleach dip so I thought I was safe but maybe not. I can't think of anything else that would have introduced them to the tank. My equipment is now soaking in a bleach dip but how do I treat the tank?

Thanks in advance!

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I get those too. Could be detritus worms, a result of decaying stuff in your tank. Not really much they do to harm anything and they go away in time. My fish actually eats one occasionally..

3. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Decaying like food or plants?

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Food, plant matter, poo. Anything that is decaying in the tank. My glass is covered in them. They don't really do much, just a part of the natural processes going on I suppose.
    [​IMG]
    You can probably scrub excess off with one of those tank scrubbers, or scrape them off.
    Here's a colony of them by this dying piece of plant.
    [​IMG]

5. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow I don't have that many. I only saw them when I poured the water back in too fast and kicked up the sand. They look kind of like what those are though.