Tiny White Worms On Snail

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Kenzie Corson, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Kenzie Corson

Kenzie CorsonNew MemberMember

Boy, this has not been my week. After the passing of my other mystery Gary, I noticed that Leonard has long white worm looking things on him... they move around and are quite creepy D:

upload_2018-4-13_19-9-11.png

Does anyone happen to know what these are and how I could get rid of them?! Leonard is his usual zoomie happy self, but they're creeping me out and I'm concerned they might be hurting him

2. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Could you get a better picture?
    I see a ton of algae on his shell, not sure what the worms are.

3. OP
    OP
    Kenzie Corson

Kenzie CorsonNew MemberMember

Sorry, that's the best I was able to do with my crappy phone camera. I'll try to get another one at another time, but the worms are only visible when he's standing like that. If it helps at all the worms are the long strings coming from between his shell and the body, they look almost like roots but they most definitely move around. EW.

Working on the algae problem, but unfortunately this tank gets a lot of light as the only place in our apartment that isn't very well lit by windows is the kitchen. I'll be moving Leonard to my 20 gallon in a darker spot in the kitchen once the tank is fully cycled. Haven't tried to take him out to clean the algae off as I'm really concerned about hurting him :/

4. Pringlethesnail

PringlethesnailWell Known MemberMember

As far as I know there aren't any aquarium parasites that would attack mystery snails. They do get parasites in the wild, I believe. I would need a better picture

5. Ravynn

RavynnValued MemberMember

I just noticed this post. I got a mystery snail from Petsmart that had worms moving in and out of his shell (i brought it back a long time ago) where the body meets the inside. I think tubifex worms can inhabit that area...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice