Tiny White Worms Crawling Inside Tank Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by TinyDino, Feb 5, 2019.

1. TinyDino

TinyDinoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello,
    Last night I discovered some minuscule whitish worms crawling around on the inside of the tank's glass.
    I saw about five in total, but no more than one or two at once.
    I have been neglecting to clean up my betta's leftover food recently, so I suspect that's where they come from.
    My main concern is that I can't tell whether they're planaria, rhabdocoela or something else because they're too tiny, and whether I should eliminate them or let them be.
    I didn't have a good enough camera to take a photo, so I drew what it looks like to the best of my abilities. Worm.
    This isn't a precise representation, though; I think I got its colors right, but I can't tell if their heads are triangular.

Additional information:
    The tank is closest in size to a 2 gallon one, and equipped with a heater, thermometer and filter/rainbar thing.
    The inside decor consists of some artificial gravel, a small hideout, several rocks, a moss ball, and some Java fern and anubias nana that I purchased nearly half a year ago.
    The tank's only inhabitant (minus the worms) is a female blue veiltail betta that I've been keeping since last July or so.
    I feed her betta bits and dry bloodworms, but I've never given her live prey so far.
    I did a partial water change about three days ago.
    I also cleaned the tank equipment, cleaned up bits of dirt (most likely fish droppings that I missed out on) and took away some of the gravel so that it only covers part of the tank's floor.

P.S. Excuse me if I got any of the terms wrong; English is not my native language.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,437
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Looking at that I'm edging my bet on planaria
    Take a look at attachment to confirm

3. Nick72

Nick72Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +295
    Experience:
    Just started
    I can't confirm Planaria from that photo, but it looks more like Planaria than the more common Ditritus worm.

I was researching Planaria recently as I also had a few worms, but mine turned out to be Ditritus worm.

The treatment for Planaria is copper.

I bought the bottle in the attached photo, although I never used it.

You might want to consider that Planaria while a potential problem are unlikely to effect your fish as long as they are healthy.

The copper meds are not good for fish or plants and could cause real harm.

If confirmed as Planaria I would either ignore them or buy a Planaria trap.

Attached Files:

4. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,437
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Be very carefull using meds with copper in if you have shrimp in the tank you'll kill them all, Zero planera and Frabenzatol are the most common used and are safe with shrimp and fish but not snails if you have them, so remove any snails for the duration of treating, Planeria are not welcome in any tanks and steps should be taken the eradicate completely

5. Nick72

Ratings:
    +295
    Experience:
    Just started
    @richie.p - I've heard this several times, and I agree that Planaria are undesirable, but from what I've read they are scavengers and very unlikey to effect a healthy fish in any way. So why is it important to eradicate them completely?

6. richie.p

Ratings:
    +2,437
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hi @Nick72 you are right in what you say so please forgive me for my aggressive attitude towards them but as a shrimp breeder I know all to well what these horrible things can do to a tank, with fish they will eat the eggs and have been known to kill young if they get old of them especially at rest on the bottom at night, as for shrimp they crawl up inside the carapace and eat the shrimp from inside out and if left unchecked can desimate a shrimp tank, healthy fish don't have a problem as you say so most people probly dont care but a lot aquarists these days are mixing shrimp and fish so then it becomes a problem, if cut into two the back end grows a new head and they become two so can multiply quite fast, there are a few fish like Gouarimi that eat them but they also eat shrimp,

7. OP
    OP
    TinyDino

TinyDinoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you. I will take a look.

8. OP
    OP
    TinyDino

TinyDinoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    I see. As I stated in the post, I only have one betta - no shrimps or snails - so hopefully I won't have to worry too much.

9. OP
    OP
    TinyDino

TinyDinoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    It does look like planaria according to a post someone else linked me. Since I don't plan on breeding my fish and I have no shrimp or snails, they shouldn't be a threat, but I'll watch out anyways.
    As of now, I've used a syphon and net to clean up as much leftover food as I could find in the tank. Hopefully they won't increase in number if I keep doing that, leaving nothing much to eat.

10. Nick72

Ratings:
    +295
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'd consider using a Planaria trap. I've seen them on YouTube and they look like they work very well.

11. OP
    OP
    TinyDino

TinyDinoNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Alright, I'll check those out as well. Thanks!

12. LagerthaM

LagerthaMValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +89
    Experience:
    4 years

Maybe try this medicine:

https://www.chewy.com/seachem-paraguard-marine-freshwater/dp/131185