Tiny white bugs on driftwood??

Jojo205

There are a ton of tiny white bugs on my driftwood. I recently redid my tank and added a lot of plants and a piece of driftwood. I didn’t boil the driftwood or do any sort of bleach dip on the plants (looking back, i wish i had- there are a lot of bladder snails in my tank now!!). But I haven’t seen them until now, a month later. They’re too fast to be tiny baby snails. I attached a pic, hope u can see them, it’s kind of blurry. I don’t care about getting rid of it as long as it’s not harmful. Btw, the stocking in the tank- 5.5 gallons- is 2 male guppies, a bunch of bladder snails, and i’m hoping to add neo shrimp in the near future, once the plants are more established. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 5CD174B3-6B69-4155-B638-81F790EA1F13.jpeg
    5CD174B3-6B69-4155-B638-81F790EA1F13.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 37

sKorp

Hmm... I don't know what they are but there's another post on here by HayleyMartin with maybe the same issue. Her problem seems to be further along and if so i

Upvote 0

Broggy

do they move around?

Upvote 0

Jojo205

do they move around?
Yes. They go in little spurts then stop for a second, then go again. Very fast, much faster than a tiny baby snail would be.

Upvote 0

Broggy

look up cyclops and daphnia and see if that is it. sometimes they can naturally occur.

Upvote 0

Jojo205

look up cyclops and daphnia and see if that is it. sometimes they can naturally occur.
It’s much more round than either of those

Upvote 0

MySquishy

Seed shrimp?
That’s what it looks like to me.

Upvote 0

richiep

It's guess work on these at the moment, can you get closer pictures

Upvote 0

Jojo205

It's guess work on these at the moment, can you get closer pictures
Seed shrimp?
That’s what it looks like to me.
How big are seed shrimp? these are less than a mm

Attachments

• 1D643744-8943-4CB5-8F3A-6A709AF91CA7.jpeg
    1D643744-8943-4CB5-8F3A-6A709AF91CA7.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 73B3AE07-CC5C-41AA-BF84-2A014CDB5492.jpeg
    73B3AE07-CC5C-41AA-BF84-2A014CDB5492.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

MySquishy

Seed shrimp are tiny. Barely bigger than a period on a page. I was shocked too when I realized that’s what I had and that they could be so small.

Tiny specks in tadpole water: size comparison.

Tiny specks in tadpole water: closeup.

(Excuse the dirty water; I took those videos before changing water and cleaning it out, since I knew I would suck up a bunch of seed shrimp when I did. You hear about how messy goldfish are, and other fish, but I don’t think much can top tadpoles, lol!)

Upvote 0

Jojo205

Seed shrimp are tiny. Barely bigger than a period on a page. I was shocked too when I realized that’s what I had and that they could be so small.

Tiny specks in tadpole water: size comparison.

Tiny specks in tadpole water: closeup.

(Excuse the dirty water; I took those videos before changing water and cleaning it out, since I knew I would suck up a bunch of seed shrimp when I did.)
Oh wow, ok. should I get rid of them or just keep them? Will the guppies eat them? I only feed them every 2-3 days to keep the snail population down so they eat everything in the tank- including the diatoms on the glass lol.

Upvote 0

Broggy

Oh wow, ok. should I get rid of them or just keep them? Will the guppies eat them? I only feed them every 2-3 days to keep the snail population down so they eat everything in the tank- including the diatoms on the glass lol.
seems like guppy snack to me if they find them

Upvote 0

richiep

Those are not seed shrimp or copeapods, they look like the white version of a water mite which are harmless iv posted a pic of a black one which is the same size as yours

Attachments

• IMG_1543.JPG
    IMG_1543.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom