Tiny White Bugs In Aquarium

1. Ronnie L Rubio

Ronnie L Rubio New Member Member

So this is my first post. I searched the site for anything related to this and I couldn't find anything that looked similar to what these are.

Please help!! I'm at the tail end of cycling my tank, 20 gallon and just recently added live plants into the tank. I'd say around 2 or 3 weeks ago. I did a water change yesterday to help remove dead plant matter, anyways. Today, there must be around 100 of these little white bugs EVERYWHERE. All over my aquarium walls. They seem to jump, and I did notice they have two tail looking things? Sorry, my explanation is horrific. How do I get rid of them? I'm adding 3 African dwarf frogs into the tank once done cycling so I wouldn't think bugs living with them would be a good idea since they are fragile. I have added photos to try and help identify these. Maybe they hitched a ride on the plants? I didnt think to wash the plants before adding them. I was way to excited to get them into the tank to help cycle... lesson learned!

Sorry about my finger. Was the only way I could get my phone camera to focus. 20180622_194550.jpg 20180622_194417.jpg 20180622_194406.jpg

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Oh those little guys are no problem at all! They're called copepods, and are a type of infusoria, which are basically the teeny tiny, even microscopic, living parts of the aquarium ecosystem. They don't go away, but if you pause feeding for a bit, the numbers will die down pretty drastically. Personally, I think they're kind of cute.
    They pose no threat to any aquatic life you would keep, from dwarf shrimp to frogs to fry, they're harmless. Actually, they'd likely be food for half those guys.

3. OP
    OP
    Ronnie L Rubio

Ronnie L Rubio New Member Member

Oh my thank you so much! I was freaking out thinking I had to tear down my tank and start over. Big relief, I appreciate your reply! This whole live plants thing is new to me so I thought I had brought in unwelcome pests along with them.

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

No worries! In my experience, the only tiny passenger on plants that's dangerous are hydra. Copepods are 100% harmless, and are actually a sign of a healthy tank in general, so they can serve as an early warning sign in some cases. If the copepods start disappearing, it's time to check ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. And welcome to the forum!

5. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

Yes, I always have these guys when cycling my planted tanks. They don't do anything bad

6. Seasoldier

Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Those little creatures are copepods as @Rtessy says, they're basically free live fish food.

7. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Copepods are like cleaners for tanks but also a good source for many fish. It's a win win situation. They don't harm fish or any shrimplets or fry.

8. Keystone

Keystone Well Known Member Member

The one in your photo is a female with eggs