Question Tiny spiral snail ID please.

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello Fishlore,

These snails have been in my tank for about six months and are nocturnal and bury during the day. I don't mind them but I finally got some decent pics of them to ask abt ID. They are TINY. About 0.1 inches (maybe smaller).
P3290801.JPG

P3290800.JPG

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Repolie said:
Malaysian trumpet snail.
Aren't mts much much larger than this? This is so small. Babies and eggs are microscopic.

I just looked up size of mts and they are an inch. This snail is very very far from an inch. About 0.1 inches and that is the biggest specimen I have found

Each dirt ball that you see in the picture is one grain of fluval stratum for comparison

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mts start out small and get bigger. Takes a long time to get to an inch. Mine are at best a 1/4”. But mts have thicker shells. Very hard to break.. your snails may be baby rabbit snails.

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
86 ssinit said:
Mts start out small and get bigger. Takes a long time to get to an inch. Mine are at best a 1/4”. But mts have thicker shells. Very hard to break.. your snails may be baby rabbit snails.
This would be possible except for the fact that I have had them for six months now. Could it take really that long?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Search these out they don't grow big and there's a lot of snails in this category

Red-rimmed melania

Falena

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know what they are, but they are cute!
It's odd that they've remained so small, I've spotted a couple of similar hitchhiker's in one of my tanks from a recent plant haul, but they are brown and don't look quite like yours. Interested to see if anyone can positively ID them :)

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
richie.p said:
Search these out they don't grow big and there's a lot of snails in this category

Red-rimmed melania
Will do!
Falena said:
I don't know what they are, but they are cute!
It's odd that they've remained so small, I've spotted a couple of similar hitchhiker's in one of my tanks from a recent plant haul, but they are brown and don't look quite like yours. Interested to see if anyone can positively ID them :)
They could still be the same. The few that arrived on your plants or whatever may have just had a lot of brown for some reason.
richie.p said:
I have these that don't seem to grow more than .2mm this one is under .1
Yes those look like the same snail but those measurements you gave are incredibly small.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finatic005 said:
Will do!

They could still be the same. The few that arrived on your plants or whatever may have just had a lot of brown for some reason.

Yes those look like the same snail but those measurements you gave are incredibly small.
[/QUOTE
I don't know if my young assassins eat them but I'll search my other tanks for the biggest I can find but as a rule I see them as specks then use a macro on them

OP
Finatic005

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow! That is small. Maybe the assassins eat the bigger ones.

New Threads