Tiny Snail Identification

Notivation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, all!

When cleaning out my aquarium a few days ago, I found an odd speck on one of my plants. Pulled it off, but it stuck to my finger and started moving. I put it in a cup and watched as it climbed up the side of the cup. Long story short, his name is now Booger and has been rehomed/quarantined until he grows up (as my betta would surely have him for an appetizer of the appetizer) in a heated one gallon with anacharis. I'd like to I.D. him. I've had these plants for several weeks now without a trace of pest snails, but I do have a nerite snail that pumps out eggs weekly. I haven't found any others yet. Let me know what you think. Keep reading after the pictures if you're concerned about him being in a one gallon. All pictures were taken on an iPhone zoomed in all the way with a magnifying glass to boost.

booger2.JPG

booger1.JPG

booger3.JPG

If you're concerned about him being in an unfiltered one gallon, don't. You can fit five of these little guys on a short pinky-fingernail, so he doesn't eat much or produce much waste. I still change the water and add old aquarium water from my established planted tank so algae and nitrifying bacteria are introduced. He's small enough that he spends days going up and down one plant at a time.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes rams horn snail. Pest . Some say they only over run a tank if it’s overfed. But I have a few that were travelers on some plants I got. I put them in a jelly jar with a few plant leaves and they are laying eggs already.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have one you have more I found one in my 55 gallon tank a year or so ago. By the time I saw it I was already infested with them. One or two are cute...hundreds of them just make ones tank look dirty.

I fought with them for several months going as far as taking everything out of the tank including the gravel. Cleaned everything and replaced the gravel with sand. I even cleaned my filters but kept the media so I wouldn't lose all my work getting this tank cycled. Still went through a mini cycle though. To my dismay the snails came back

I finally bought assassin snails to combat the problem. It worked. One day I will have to remove some of the assassins but at least they live in the sand. They are cute and keep the sand aerated so I am happy with my decision to get them.

Notivation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cichlid dung. What's the best way to take care of him, pronto? I've looked pretty hard and can't find any more or in the gravel. What can I do to trap any others? I don't want this one gallon overrun, I plan on breeding RCS to give my betta fry for food.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can make a snail trap out of a small plastic bottle. Poke some small holes in it. Small enough to make sure none of your fish can get in it though. You may need to put some gravel in it to add weight to make it sink. Put some lettuce leaves in it...cap it and let it sink to the bottom. If you have more snails in your tank they will find the trap. They are more active during the night so if you have more they may be coming out after lights out.

I just checked and I see that we are talking about a 3 gallon tank so getting the snails under control may be a LOT easier for you than it was for me in my 55

Notivation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can make a snail trap out of a small plastic bottle. Poke some small holes in it. Small enough to make sure none of your fish can get in it though. You may need to put some gravel in it to add weight to make it sink. Put some lettuce leaves in it...cap it and let it sink to the bottom. If you have more snails in your tank they will find the trap. They are more active during the night so if you have more they may be coming out after lights out.
Great, thanks. It's a three gallon with a betta and nickle-sized nerite snail, so I shouldn't have issues with anything getting in. Thank you again!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great, thanks. It's a three gallon with a betta and nickle-sized nerite snail, so I shouldn't have issues with anything getting in. Thank you again!
You are very welcome. I edited my original post after reading your bio.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom