Tiny Shrimp? Question

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by DirtyEw0k, Apr 24, 2018.

1. DirtyEw0kWell Known MemberMember

Sooo... i bought these shrimp a few months ago for my 36 gallon well planted freshwater tank and they are all a pretty good size now but today a little guy pops out that's like less than half the size. They are all Amano shrimp. Should I be worried about a shrimp that small? Theres lots to eat in there and i do have a little dish with shrimp food that i feed 2x a week. He almost looks smaller than when I bought them. I tried counting them but its impossible because they are never all out at the same time. I have 6. Only time I ever see them all is during tank cleaning. They swim laps lol Well, unless one is molting then they don't come out. I went to go take a picture of him to show you guys but he's already found a little hiding spot :(

2. Danimal6Valued MemberMember

Is it possible it's a baby shrimp?

3. Kristian AcevedoValued MemberMember

possible, but extremely unlikely. Amano babies require a brackish phase at some point (not sure when tbh) and so it’s rare to actually have offspring in a freshwater aquarium. But again, possible for sure

4. DirtyEw0kWell Known MemberMember

hey sorry, i've been soooo busy lol Totally forgot I posted this. My app on my tablet doesn't do notifications at all so unless i hop on from my computer i'll never know when i get a reply.
    I hightly doubt it's a baby. I did my research on that and they need to be in brackish water when they are babies to survive because they feed off it and are moved to fresh later. They can survive in very hard water that's not brackish but mine is fairly soft because of my rasboras who like soft water. Never raised shrimp so i could be wrong lol I'm just wondering if its not a baby if i should worry about a shrimp whos not growing. Isn't it bad for them to not molt a lot when they are young?

I've never seen any of my shrimp with eggs. I could have sworn i saw 2 mating the other day but she wasn't full of eggs and i thought they only did that when she already had eggs. They are pretty happy in my tank. Lately this past week I've been seeing all my shrimp out during the day. The rasboras, danios and otos leave them alone completely. They have never show any interest. Only thing my danios have ever done is pick at their molts they leave behind. I

5. Kristian AcevedoValued MemberMember

Odds are a baby shrimp snuck into your bag. When i got my 12 rcs, i ended up having 7 stowaway babies, and they all lived and grew to full size. So really i got 19 for the price of 12 lol

6. DirtyEw0kWell Known MemberMember

lol wow that is pretty cool

7. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Nice! Petsmart gave me 8 guppys when i ordered 6.... She said "You will need an extra two because they will die from stress of getting home" WHAT? Petsmart is accepting that their quality of guppys suck....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice