Tiny Pleco Trap

eligri

Hi!
My pleco's keep having babies, but impossible to catch any real amount in my 125 gallon tank. Most getting eaten by my ropefish and Oscar, but some seem to survive atleast a couple months (having grown to 1-1.5 inches in size).

Any way to trap these without the ropefish getting his head in there?
Water bottle is too large.

Thanks for tips!

wateriswet

Drill or punch a hole in the water bottle cap? Or put a hole in the metal lid of a mason jar with food inside it to lure in the babies? The mason jar will sink, which is nice vs the water bottle.

You could also pull out the eggs before they hatch and move them to another tank. Have you seen where they are laying? The male will usually guard them so keep an eye on him.

eligri

Drill or punch a hole in the water bottle cap? Or put a hole in the metal lid of a mason jar with food inside it to lure in the babies? The mason jar will sink, which is nice vs the water bottle.

You could also pull out the eggs before they hatch and move them to another tank. Have you seen where they are laying? The male will usually guard them so keep an eye on him.
Nope, not been able to see.
A bit iffy to sink a bottle down there longterm. Heard that PET isnt too safe longterm?

MacZ

Two options, or rather one.

Take out everything ONCE, remove as many fry as you can and get one of the parents out too and rehome it.

Instead of scratching the itches, smash the mosquito.

Then you only have to use the trap short term. PET is also perfectly food safe, so it's also fish safe. The rumours are nonesense, frankly. It's been debunked a decade ago but still they continue to circulate.

eligri

Two options, or rather one.

Take out everything ONCE, remove as many fry as you can and get one of the parents out too and rehome it.

Instead of scratching the itches, smash the mosquito.

Then you only have to use the trap short term. PET is also perfectly food safe, so it's also fish safe. The rumours are nonesense, frankly. It's been debunked a decade ago but still they continue to circulate.
I like having fry, just want to keep catching them as they are born :)

CHJ

I second "a cone facing into a bottle with some zuch inside." If only the fry can get in I imagine they will all head in there.
Might be possible to do the cone with a bottle you paint black as they just go in as a hiding space.
Small bamboo tubes that you can cover the end of and remove, etc.

MacZ

I like having fry, just want to keep catching them as they are born :)
You could do that in a smaller tank dedicated for the plecos. Takes out so many variables and obstacles from the equation.

eligri

Was thinking of modding one of my syringes with an airline tube going in or something else. Would like it to look nicer than a plastic bottle also
You could do that in a smaller tank dedicated for the plecos. Takes out so many variables and obstacles from the equation.
Im growing them in a smaller tank, no room for a tank to breed the pleco's in though.

MacZ

Sorry, I'm out. This is going into a territory that is against my idea of sound animal husbandry.

eligri

Sorry, I'm out. This is going into a territory that is against my idea of sound animal husbandry.
Why?
125 gallon tank for parents and trying to capture and grow the smaller fry in a 15 gallon tank. Wouldnt call that too cruel

What would be cruel is rehousing the pleco to a tank that small for breeding. And certainly no room in my small apartment for a sufficient tank to breed pleco's in.

mimo91088

One idea that I have is maybe try adding some pleco caves strategically so you can see into them. Maybe you'll luck out and they'll start using those as the new breeding spot. If they take up residence, it would be pretty easy to just pull the caves before the babies leave and dump them into the fry tank.

eligri

One idea that I have is maybe try adding some pleco caves strategically so you can see into them. Maybe you'll luck out and they'll start using those as the new breeding spot. If they take up residence, it would be pretty easy to just pull the caves before the babies leave and dump them into the fry tank.
Hmm yeah perhaps!
At the moment there is tons of decor and roots, so they stay well hidden. Even some fry seem to survive. But with some luck I can get them to breed somewhere I can easily fish them out of.

I'll try my luck on making a trap with some clear container and airline tubing. Should be able to catch a fair amount of the fry to rehome that way.

MacZ

Why?
125 gallon tank for parents and trying to capture and grow the smaller fry in a 15 gallon tank. Wouldnt call that too cruel

What would be cruel is rehousing the pleco to a tank that small for breeding. And certainly no room in my small apartment for a sufficient tank to breed pleco's in.
I didn't say cruel, not even my implication.

I think if you don't have the means to set up a proper breeding tank, either leave the fish alone or rehome them, but don't tinker around the breeding caves with a seringe, this is just stressful for them and they might stop breeding altogether.

Mimo's idea is probably worth a shot. If it doesn't work, it's probably best to leave them be.

eligri

I didn't say cruel, not even my implication.

I think if you don't have the means to set up a proper breeding tank, either leave the fish alone or rehome them, but don't tinker around the breeding caves with a seringe, this is just stressful for them and they might stop breeding altogether.

Mimo's idea is probably worth a shot. If it doesn't work, it's probably best to leave them be.
Not using the syringe as a breeding cave, perhaps I was unclear of my intentions.
My thought was using the syringe (clear plastic tube) as a trap for the fry. Small algae wafer in there,then an airline tube in that makes it hard for them to escape.
Leaves one side openable to get them out, and should be big enough to house them overnight safely.

Basically same idea as the plastic bottle, but smaller since using syringe (15ml) instead of the bottle.

eligri

You guys think a kinder surprise egg capsule is aquarium safe?
Good size to catch those tiny pleco in, and easy to open when I release them.
Edit:
Also have these:
IKEA 365+ Matlåda med lock, fyrkantigt/glas, 180 ml - IKEA

Those should be safe, atleast if I remove the rubber seal.
Looks like PP plastic and glass. Also foodgrade, which should mean fine for the tank.
Thoughts?

eligri

Just wanted to give everybody an update:
I made a trap using an old filter cartridge and some fishing line.

So far the 2 original pleco's have grown to over an inch, and have been moved to my betta tank (15 gallons).
The two new ones are both doing fine also, but remain in the shrimp tank for now. They are about 0.5-0.7 inches; growing nicely :)

Also seen some I have not been able to catch in the 125 gallon, they are surviving somehow. One or two are even over an inch, and have been alive for atleast 3 months!
Guess they are lucky my Oscar is nearly blind, my ropefish is lazy and the yoyo loaches aren't interested.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fish1999
  • Question
Replies
Views
Yeoy
Replies
Views
SilverLoachRam
Replies