Tiny Orange Snails...everywhere

FawnMichelle

Help...I don't know what's happened, I bought some new plants on Wednesday, that's the only new thing that has been introduced to my tank since my fish a week ago...definitely snails, definitely minute, definitely orange...from there I haven't got a clue, can anyone advise on what I should do and what this means???

Thanks again

Mcasella

Can you provide a picture of them? Orange is unusual for past snails unless it is ramshorn.

jenmur

That’s what happened to me! Got plants from my store and now I have Ramshorm snails. They aren’t bad if you keep on top of the population.

junebug

Snails are actually beneficial to the tank. They eat fish and plant waste. So, having them isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If you don't overfeed, usually the population isn't too intrusive.

Zachiodos

Depending on what tank you have and fish in it you could add a loach? I had the same problem a long time ago with my plants and driftwood. Bought a weather loach and didn't feed him for a couple days. After day 4-5 I never seen a snail again unless I added more plants or driftwood but I never seen them for long

jclee

I agree with the posts above, and I would love to see a picture, just because orange is an unusual color for a hitchhiker snail.

Demeter

Red rams horns are orange little specks when they hatch. They are far more eye catching than the regular colored rams.

FawnMichelle

Hey guys thanks so much...I will try to get a picture but they are so small at the moment I don't know if the zoom will work haha!

Few sounds like it isn't the end of the world then, it's definitely a bright orange spiral shell can only just see tiny little feelers at the front! They move pretty darn quick too.

I was wanting to get KuhlI poached anyway they were my preferred bottom feeder, but wanted to wait a few weeks until my tank was more mature x

09d00996d1fc27c65fda2f20c372e3c6.jpg

Mcasella

Yep ramshorn

FawnMichelle

Ok...how do I keep the population under control? Are introducing my loaches a good idea?

I've noticed a lot of empty shells on my substrate so I'm thinking the fish are having a go as well, I've only got 10 small fish in my 125 litre so concerned they won't keep up!

Mcasella

Ok...how do I keep the population under control? Are introducing my loaches a good idea?

I've noticed a lot of empty shells on my substrate so I'm thinking the fish are having a go as well, I've only got 10 small fish in my 125 litre so concerned they won't keep up!
My kuhlis are great ramshorn hunters, gotta deal with shells then too.

CanadianJoeh

Assassin snails are quite possibly the best species of aquatic animal at getting rid of unwanted snails.

They breed VERY slowly, unlike most other snails who will overrun your tank very quickly. Depending on the size of your aquarium, just a couple or so generally do the trick.

They also kill and eat other snails.

jenmur

When I see a bunch of babies on the glass I just squish them. I let a few snails live so I can continue having them in my tank since they are pretty cool but I don’t want them running out of control.

3242ccab71f7a7102e46f8e030f5ffc2.jpg

California L33

They eat fish and plant waste.

There's always somebody with a worse job than yours .

Similar Aquarium Threads

• TropicalFlow
  • Snails
Replies
Views
TropicalFlow
  • BristlenoseCatfish
  • Snails
Replies
Views
BristlenoseCatfish
Replies