Tiny Little Creature(s) In My Aquarium

Liam89

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Started a 25g planted. It's been cycling for a week. Ammonia just hit 0. Nitrites 5ppm. Nitrates 40ppm. I'm looking at my plants and lo and behold there's this tiny little thing buzzing around the bottom from plant to plant. Think I spotted a second as well.

Dropbox link:

Dropbox - Aquarium

Corycat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's a copepod!

Ah yes, listen to Keystone! I have this stuff in my tank too and was the same way, like what is this?!

Corycat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought they were but they seem to be harmless. I have one(probably more) in my 10 gallon. I think it came with a java moss mat. It hasn't hurt any fish, it just chills in the gravel mainly that I see. It's kinda weird and creepy but if it doesn't hurt anything I've just let it be. The guy at my lfs said it's a sign of a healthy tank. They are pretty resilient mine have been through some stuff in my 10 gallon as well. Lol

I've even heard some fish eat them. I have cories and oto cats in the 10g and they haven't eaten them though

Cori Elizabeth

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pretty harmless creatures, they eat bacteria and algae and all the good stuff to keep your tank cleaner by my knowledge

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom