Tiny Flat Snail?

1. rabbott Initiate Member

IMG_9120.JPG IMG_9114.JPG
    I have found two of these tiny snail like creature in my planted tank. They tend to like to stay on the leaves of my anubias nana. They are about 2-3 mm long and are very flat. What are they? Will they eat my plants? Should I try to get rid of them? Thanks.

edit - They look red in the picture because of the light I was using. They are really a clear white.

2. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Not sure what they are either, but I'd keep them in a separate tank or container, until they grow up to ID. because they could be pest snails that hichiked on some plants or they could just be nice little nerites.

3. Airth Member Member

It's unlikely that they're nerites unless the plants you have are or were in a brackish tank. Nerites need brackish water for anything to become of their eggs. Nerites can lay eggs in freshwater but they'll always be duds.

Still too small to say, but my guess would be some sort of hitchhikers.

4. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

That's what I thought, but just in case.

5. rabbott Initiate Member

Thanks for the help. I will watch the one I caught grow. How is the best way to find the other one or more snails? I was thinking I might remove and check all of my anubias.

6. rabbott Initiate Member

I just remembered that the person I received my plants from had snails. He didn't say what type but they were cone shaped and liked to dig in the substrate. Possibly trumpet snails. Could they be baby trumpet snails? I have had the plants for 3 months.

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Can't really make out any shape within the shell so my best guess is freshwater limpet!

8. rabbott Initiate Member

Yes! Thank you very much! I googled the freshwater limpet and they seem to match exactly. I have not seen many of them and I don't believe they eat the plants so I might just leave them and see what happens.

9. Skyy2112 Member Member

Most snails wont eat plants, just the dying plants. But quite a few will reproduce fast. Best way imo is a snail eater if you consider them pests; assassin snails, and... Blanking. Sorry. Any goid LFS will help if noone else here can! (But we all know they can)

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Nah, freshwater limpets are pretty innocuous and from what I've heard are a sign that your water is healthy because they're very sensitive. If you get a lot of them clinging to your glass though and you don't like the look of them I have witnessed a ghost shrimp use its pincers to peel one off the glass and eat it, so that's a possible means of control:)

11. rabbott Initiate Member

I gave my tank a good look over and cleaning this morning and noticed about ten of them on the glass at the back of the tank. I have more than I thought but those aren't even near the plants and you have to try to see them. I don't think they will be a problem but if they become a problem I will consider buying something to eat them.

Thanks for all the help