Tiny EBJD tankmates

awilkinson871

I have always wanted an EBJD and my family surprised me with one for Mother's Day. The only problem is he is only 1 1/2" and too small for my cichlid tank. (They bought the biggest one they could find.) I have a 55 gallon with 2 female convicts, a turquoise jewel, albino rainbow shark, rubber lip pleco, and a small school of giant danios. None of the cichlids are full grown but are all 3 1/2" or bigger. I did add him to the tank because it was all that was set up. He hid at the top in the plants and refused to come out. Any time he tried he would dart back in as soon as another fish came near. I barely saw him eat. I set up a 37 gallon using decor and water from the 55 gallon and let it run a few days to ensure parameters and temperature were the same. He went in yesterday.
He is very shy and only comes out when no one is around and pretty much hides in one of two places. I am not 100% sure he is eating, but he has been offered small amounts of food- both flake and sinking pellets. Since he is so small I plan on using this as a grow out tank until he is 3" or so and can better deal with the larger tankmates. Should I place some other fish in the 37 gallon with him to help him adjust and reduce his nervousness or will he eventually just become comfortable? He has hiding places and both live and fake plants. I am planning on getting some floating plants to reduce the lighting as the new tank has bright LED lights. I really don't want to lose him since I wanted him for so long. Any ideas to ensure his success?

A201

Be a good idea to keep the lights off while the EBJD gets acclimated. Adding a group of big Tetras or Danios might work well as dithers.
Be sure to add cycled media into the filter.
I've grown out several EBJD's, but I have lost a couple as well. They aren't as durable as standard JD's but are very colorful & worth the extra care.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Thanks. I had thought about using this tank for either dwarf gouramis or ram cichlids after the EBJD grows out of it. Any idea if either of these would work with him now?

Upvote 0

A201

IMO. Either or both would be just fine w/ your EBJD.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Dippiedee
Replies
Views
wtusa1783
Replies
Views
Frickbot