Tiny dwarf puffer question

1. Spectralflux Initiate Member

A few days ago I was give a few fish to add to my tank and one of the was a pea puffer or a tiny dwarf puffer I think he is so cool and he. Gets along with all the other fish it my tank

But I have yet to see him. Eat any thing but one time. But there are. A lot oh pond snails in my tank so how do. I know if he is eating and is there any thing else I should add to his diet and should I add more snails to the tank ?

Last how do I sex these fish is it hard

Thank you

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

It is really impossible to tell the sex of a dwarf puffer until it reaches machurity. But, there are two ways I know to tell. The male will have a narrow body with a dark vertical line down his belly. The females are rounder and have no line on the underside.

It is not uncommon for the shy puffer not to eat the first few days in the tank as it does not want to come out of hiding. But, after a few days it will get more comfortable and come out and look around. It will eat something after the first few days.

Just a warning about puffer fish: Most pufferfish are prone to diseases and infections and being that they are scale-less fish, they are very sensitive to what medicines/treatments you administer to them. It is best to be prepared ahead of time to properly handle any problems you may encounter.

Also, the only area that you do not want to skimp on is the filter. Dwarves, just like all other puffers, are messy eaters and produce a lot of waste, therefore a good filtration system is essential. If your puffers are very small, make sure to cover the filter intake with some type of foam to protect them from getting sucked into the filter. Dwarf Puffers are definitely not community fish and are best kept in a small species setup. Some people do keep them in larger community tanks with success, but it is not recommended. Dwarves are mean and will nip the fins off just about any other fish. They are capable of killing tank mates much larger than themselves with the constant biting. Also, their small size can cause them to be eaten by larger fish. If you're going to keep dwarves, plan to provide them with their very own tank. There are a few tank mates that can be successfully kept with dwarves: ottos and shrimp. Since puffers are so messy, these fish serve as the clean-up crew for the algae that get produced and the excess food puffers always leave behind.

There is an excellent websit on Puffers: dwarfpuffers.com. It has everything and anything that you would like to know about dwarf puffers. I hope that this helps you in some way. Good luck with your new addition.

3. Fishkeeper99 Member Member

Your puffer-if you see him-should have a rounded belly, that will tell you the he is eating enough.
    Sometimes puffers get Very shy and hide, so if he has just been hiding for a few days it could just be because he is scared.

4. Spectralflux Initiate Member

Well I added another one in the tank and they both hang out together is this commen for them or not and Of I. Feed them other stuff then snails will my other fish eat it