Tiny Bugs?

KaitKat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
One of my tanks (fake plants with gravel.. never planted) suddenly has a bunch of bugs that look like tiny pieces of rice (they're way too small to take a decent picture of). From lots of googling, I think they're either water fleas or seed shrimp. The only thing that has changed is a couple months ago the tank was my fry tank, and since then I got a breeder box so the fry are in the community tank now and the DG is in the old fry tank, so I don't know how they got there. I didn't notice anything until a couple weeks after I switched the fish. They're in the filter, on the glass, just everywhere. Water changes and vacuuming don't seem to help. They don't look like they're bugging my DG but he doesn't seem to be eating them either, even when I didn't feed him for almost a full week (but then I felt bad and had to feed him). How do I get rid of them?

I actually just had an idea- would ich meds (Kordon rapid cure) kill them? I don't have a problem putting the fish in a different tank for the 3 days, so if that would work that'd be awesome.

Keystone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Water fleas swim in short jerks. Seed shrimp are free swimmers - I have a friend that says their movement makes him think of drunk bumblebees. Try posting a pic - even a poor one may help

KaitKat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Here are some (The algae thing is another problem I'm dealing with in that tank just ignore the grossness please)
IMG_3131.JPG IMG_6849.JPG

They also don't move fast if that helps.. theyre really slow and when they get off of a surface they seem to fall in a weird way to the bottom.. kind of looks like if you were to drop a sheet of paper off of a ladder

Keystone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I thinks they are seed shrimp - ostracods. Do you ever see antennae or feet protruding from the shell like the picture in my avatar?

KaitKat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, I can see very teeny-tiny antennae and actually now that I'm looking for it, at the right angle I can see the crack in the shell (kinda cool) Thank you for your help!
Do you have any idea how they got in there? Should I try to get rid of them or just accept that they live there now?

Keystone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Their eggs are exceptionally hardy and can survive being dried out for years. They could have come in many ways and just hatched when water conditions became favorable. They are harmless - most people just don't find them attractive.

If they run out of food the population will crash - but eggs will be there waiting for better days

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom