Tiny black specks- algea

catinthedarkx

Edit: wow I should have previewed before posting, apologies for typo in title can’t seem to update it

These tiny black specks have suddenly appeared in my tank. Not sure if they are the start of some type of algae, or possibly something more nefarious. Assuming it hitchhiked in with a plant. It does not seem to move and can be wiped off, but does not seem to come out of the gravel with the gravel vac alone. It looks like carbon or sand almost- I do not run carbon in my tanks only sponge filters. It was on plants as well but I manually removed it from as many surfaces as I could and did a large water change. Any ideas what this could be?

You must be registered to see images

StarGirl

I was going to say the start of Black beard algae. But if it wipes off easy Im not so sure.

Upvote 0

catinthedarkx

I was going to say the start of Black beard algae. But if it wipes off easy Im not so sure.
So basically I was able to pull it off the airline tubing by wiping down with a paper towel, I manually scrubbed it off the filter components with a bottle brush and scraped it off the walls. But the spots on the substrate don’t come up with the gravel vac. I’m assuming if I were to pick them out and scrub them it would but that would be very tedious and time consuming since it’s ALL over

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Has it reappeared on any of the stuff you scrubbed off? I think you may be stuck with it on the substrate. It will eventually blend around in the stones when you vacuum.

Upvote 0

catinthedarkx

Has it reappeared on any of the stuff you scrubbed off? I think you may be stuck with it on the substrate. It will eventually blend around in the stones when you vacuum.
It doesn’t seem to have reappeared on the filters so far which was where it was most dense to begin with but is did initially crop up rather suddenly so hopefully it doesn’t return or carry over from the substrate. I’m going to have to wait and watch it seems.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Yeah That looks like the only option I can see. Just see what it does.

Upvote 0

catinthedarkx

Yeah That looks like the only option I can see. Just see what it does.
I understand that black beard is rather slow growing? Any tips on how to proactively nip if if that’s what it is? Or is waiting for a confirmed diagnosis better? Lol

Upvote 0

StarGirl

Im not sure about the BBA. It does not wipe off easy. How long are your lights on?

Upvote 0

catinthedarkx

Im not sure about the BBA. It does not wipe off easy. How long are your lights on?
Typically around 9 hours a day

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Is there any way something from outside the tank got into the tank? My thought was dirt, paint overspray, charcoal, anything? Very fine particles could land on the water, get cycled through the tank and stick to the biofilm. Obviously I am grasping at straws, but it is better to throw out all the possibilities.

Upvote 0

catinthedarkx

Is there any way something from outside the tank got into the tank? My thought was dirt, paint overspray, charcoal, anything? Very fine particles could land on the water, get cycled through the tank and stick to the biofilm. Obviously I am grasping at straws, but it is better to throw out all the possibilities.
Haha I appreciate that! But not that I am aware. It’s in a pretty solitary location. I had thought maybe it was introduced on a plant as I recently added some elodea from dealer I have purchased from regularly, but that doesn’t really actually make sense because I had purchased a couple of other plants at the time that are in my other tank and they were in the same water for a period before being added and no problems with the other tank. Puzzling.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Aliceisalive
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Aliceisalive
Replies
Views
Mamajin
Replies
Views