Tinted glass to shade lighting?

Bobho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Our tetras don't like having the light on in the tank. When we have the light on they stay at the bottom and hide - during the day with natural light and no tank light they swim all over the place.

We don't have live plants and so don't need to worry about that. We don't want to buy floating plastic plants.

We have one 18" fluorescent lamp in the aquarium and can only find those in 15W which is too bright for our fish.

Can we buy tinted glass and place it over the hood glass under the light? Can we buy the material they use for home fluorescent lighting and cut it down to size and place this over the glass? I'm worried about heat buildup and possible damage.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does the light tube have a cover over it?

You could unscrew the cover, and place some cardboard in there to restrict the amount of light entering the aquarium.

I'm not sure about using tinted glass. But if you already have cover glass, you could put something on top of it to shade the tank. Cardboard, black plastic bag (garbage bag) etc.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Please also be aware that you can't mix wattage of aquarium lights (or any fluorescent tube) like you can with household bulbs, the electronic ballasts are designed for a certain wattage tube..

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not sure that I would use a garbage bag to try and shade the light... It may become too hot and you might find that the bag gets melted to the glass that it is resting on. That is just my two cents though:

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the problem is'nt so much that the light is too bright as much as it is that you don't have enough plants (live or fake) & other decorations in the tank to make the Tetras feel secure when the light is on. 15w of light over 26gal is really next to nothing & would certainly not be enough to influence the Tetras behaviour if there was enough tall cover in the tank. I currently run 60w over a similar size tank (smaller actually) & my Lemon & Rummynose Tetras are out on full display in the front area of the tank most of the time. They have only just been removed from a 65gal that had over 200w of light over it & they showed no signs of hiding in there either. The difference is that those tanks were/are quite heavily planted with plenty of tall plants to make the fish feel secure in their environment.

In short, if you want your Tetras swimming out in the open with the lights on, put plenty of tall plants & other decor in the tank so that they feel like cover is only a split second away. That will get them swimming around more openly during the lights on times & as a bonus they should display better colours to.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i agree with nutter, I have some timid fish also that don't stray far from their 'safe' areas. As long as you put some cover for them near the front/top of the display, they should get used to it and start using it.

Bobho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I'd thought they were staying close to the bottom to try and get away from the light but all our plants are fairly short and obviously that's making them feel safe. We'll definitely get tall plants!

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What else do you have in the tank for decor? Could you possibly post a pic of this tank?

I concur that your fish aren't hiding from the light.... they are just not secure with the tank environment.

Bobho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'll try to get a photo up, but I'm not real computer literate and my husband is worse...and he's the one with the digital camera. He takes pics but can never figure out how to get them on the computer. LOL, we will be working on this tonight and hopefully will have something for you.

We have a large statue and only a few plants. The bloodfin tetras are so tiny in our 26g that we took out lots of plants we'd had in there (all fairly short though) because we couldn't hardly see the little fish.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your fish tricked you. It seems like more plants will make the fish harder to see but when there are enough to make them feel confident, they will spend most of their time swimming out in the clearer front area of the tank. Tricky little buggers arn't they Good luck with the rescaping.

Bobho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nutter said:
Tricky little buggers arn't they
That they are it seems. :;a

I ordered three tall silk plants online yesterday, can't wait to see if they help.

Bobho

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here are the photos. They don't seem to show the height good, though. Must be the camera angle (lol blame it on my husband).

These are after we put in the medium size plants, and are during feeding time.

Also, it looks like there are a lot more plants than there are because our backing on the aquarium is a photo of underwater plants.

Attachments

GroverDill

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like your tank, best of luck with it!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads