Tin in aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by fishynoob, Jan 4, 2013.

1. fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Hi ok. Normally I run away from DIY but I erm had an idea that may be horrible but I thought I would ask advice,

So I got this really nice metal lid from a chocolate box I know it sounds weird, but I wanted to put it in the tank. I think it is made of tin.

Now I know metal + fish = no no no no no NO!!! But I have been doing some research and the same solution keeps popping up again and again and that is to coat it with sealent.

I have got some clear silicone sealent that is designed especially for aquariums. I have coated this thing in two layers resulting in fairly thick sealent. I did one thin layer let it dry (it didn't seem to take long at all) then I did a second much thicker layer all round, without it. I paid paticular attention to the nook and cranny parts and it is now doing a 4 day drying cycle at which point I will investigate it and either do another layer, do some touch ups or hopefully maybe give it the all clear and give it a try.

I was thinking of trialing it for a while in the QT when it's current residents move into their new home.

Basically will my idea work?
    Am I doing it right?
    Anyone done this before?
    What signs am I looking for that things are going wrong?
    How often should I reseal it or check it over?
    Any advice or tips you can give me?

Thank you in advance any responses welcome. I keep switching my mind about this idea so it may just end up in the bin with the rest of the xmas garbage!

2. JunneFishlore LegendMember

I would say that if it is sealed properly, it should be fine.

I would check for rust spots if anything, as metal will rust if exposed to water :)

Good luck with your project.

3. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Tin will rust VERY fast so you will know very soon. However, sealed right it should be fine.

4. fishynoobWell Known MemberMember

Oooh excellent. Only two responses so far but you have given me hope!! It seems to be loking good so far. This will be be going in my smaller "shabby chic" tank so it's ok if it doesn't look perfect (I can see some thicker parts that was unintended) in fact it may even add to the quirkiness of the tank.

I heard I should be re-sealing it once or twice a year does this sound about right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice