Time To Seed Sponge Filter

1. F

Fish'n'Tips New Member Member

Afternoon All,
    For all those using sponge filters in their quarantine tank's. Approximately how long does it take to seed the filter before you can successfully move it to your QA Tank to insta-cycle it?

So far I have been pretty successful with my community tank but lately have had a few losses, so would like to move to using a QA Tank for new arrivals. I have setup a ATI Hydro IV Sponge Pro (80 G) Filter in my main 110 gallon community tank and plan to use a 20 gallon high tank for my QA.

Also what size tanks are people generally using for QA?

Thanks for any insights!

2. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

How long has the filter been running in the 110 gal.

3. OP
    OP
    F

Since last Sunday, so 5 days so far. I am not in a rush to use it in the QA tank yet, but just curious how long a sponge filter generally takes to build up enough BB in order to be useful.

4. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

A month should be good. When you do take it out make sure you check the parameters first.

5. OP
    OP
    F

Yeah I plan to run the sponge filter in the new Q
    Thanks!! Yes, so I plan to leave the filter in for a month and then will transfer it to the 20G high and let it run 2 hours or so, then will check parameters. I`ll probably get a second filter so that I can rotate them. Obviously the first time I use meds, my BB may be toast so having another on hand would probably be wise.