Time to rethink stock

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by kb9plc, Dec 17, 2012.

1. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

Long story short. I have a 27g cube. It was stocked with mostly danios. Two different varieties from two different sources. I've come to the conclusion that my danios are one by one dropping from the 'curved spine' danio genetic issue. No other clues to sickness.... just becoming lathargic, not eating, and swimming with a droopy tail. None of the other stock in this tank have issues. Danio-wise, I now have 4 glo danios and 1 long fin silver danio left. I started with 6 glos and 7 longs. So. I have no intentions of getting more danios. I was going to try purple passions. I thought maybe a different strain of danio would help, but I'm slowly becoming more irritated with the danio genetics.

This being said... I'm looking for suggestions of what to stock in a 27g. This tank is fantasy castle themed. It has a cave, real rock decorations, and a bubble bar. I have some real plants but some fakies in there also. The fakie stuff is brightly colored blues and purples. So I'm thinking bright colored fish would look nice with this. This tank also gets a wc every week, about 30% - 40%. Here is the current stock:

4 panda cories (school to be brought up to 8 very shortly)
    1 sunset golden gourami (female)
    5 danios (probably temporarily)

Regardless of what happens to the danios, the pandas and gourami are staying.

Thoughts on new stock going into the future? Should I wait out the danio demise before moving forward?

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

If you got your danios from different places, the tank could be killing them? I would resolve the issue absolutely before you restock.

There is a fish from PNG called the Peacock Gudgeon. They are small with nice colouring, amd a pair or trio would suit your tank. They might be hard to find though.

3. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

Lost another one tonight. It's so odd. Again,no signs on any sort of disease on the body. Was swimming around fine and eating THIS MORNING.

And then there were 4...

Gourami, pandas and snails also show no signs of issues. No deaths in those families thru this danio disease. Or whatever it may be.

So I guess this is a bit of a 'bump'
    Anyone else with ideas of what is going on AND/OR restock ideas? These danios are really blowing my mind...

4. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

Has anyone had this problem with danios?? Can anyone offer any thoughts??
    Down to 3 glo danios and 1 long fin.

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If they are not showing any symptoms of anything, there's really no way to know why they died. Heart attacks? embolisms? I generally say poor quality stock. One time i was watching a school of barbs, determining if there were any i didn't want (thats how I do it for schools - easier to pick out fish I don't want than ones I do want). Anyway, they all looked good so I called her over and told her how many I wanted. As soon as she put the net in the tank, one of the fish just up and died in mid swim. I had been watching the tank for some 20 minutes and couldn't find one I didn't like. We can only guess as to why they die, most of the time.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

6. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

It's a 27g marineland cube. So I believe that is about 20 x 18 x 20.

Just an odd ball thought. I do have a sunset honey gourami in there. I know some gourami's can be tempermental with communities, but this particular variety is supposed to be consideralby more dosile. She swims near my panda cories by choice! She doesn't seem to care about her tank mates and completely ignores the other swimmy fish. But is there a chance that she could be aggressing at the danios (they are a bit nuts) when I'm not looking? And thus giving them said heartattacks? LOL!
    Seriously thou..... I do see the curved spine and back-end of the fish curved down in these guys a few days before they meet their maker. The remaining long fin is starting to look that way. Thou the 3 remaining glo fish seem to be alright. So far. But who knows.

7. Jaysee

i would cull them as soon as I noticed any curvature.

I doubt your gourami has anything to do with it.

8. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

I was thinking the same thing. But I didn't know if that was the right thing to do. Like..... ethically. Thou, I guess they could very well be in a world of pain with the curvature.
    Thanks!

9. Jaysee

Curved spine is a symptom of fish TB, which is NOT something to mess with. I'm not saying that a curved spine means TB, but it's enough for me to take immediate action.

10. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

Okay. I can honestly say I have 0 experience with fish TB. Is that catchy? So in other words, remove the fish before it moves onto another host? Is that also why it seems to be only occuring in the danios? I assumed it was just bad genetics in the danios. The glo fish were perfectly fine until the long fins started to die off. It seemed to start in the long fins. So perhaps they introduced it?
    Thanks again!

11. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Curved spines can also be genetic deformities. That's pretty common. Danios tend to have more curved spines than other fish. Most likely from inbreeding.

12. mmolitor87

mmolitor87 Well Known Member Member

13. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

Holy buckets, that's really scary.
    Okay, the only signs I show is the curved spine thing. None of the others.
    And the very first fish death first showed dropsey. The others did not. Just insta-death. So to speak.
    So hopefully it is not fish TB and instead genetic inbreeding issues! Thou I'm still concerned that it seems to have spread from the long fins to the glo fish....

14. Jaysee

Yes, that's common of mass produced fish. Much more common than TB. But, TB is something every fish keeper should be aware of, since it can be transmitted to humans.

15. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

Thank you for that. I had no idea!
    I may put the long fin out of his misery. And watch the remaining glo fish carefully.

On another note. Once I get by this, does anyone think an apisto can live in harmony with a honey gourami....... or am I asking for trouble?

16. Jaysee

The fish isn't going to get any better....

17. OP
    OP
    kb9plc

More than likely I will stop for the clove oil on my way home today. I don't have any on hand. And I'd prefer to do this the least painful way.... especially if the little guy is already in pain. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice