Time to flood the 75 gallon tank and carpet...and electronics

1. aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

I use a tank vac similar to the python where you can flip a switch to create suction or fill the tank. I just drained about 20% of my 75 gallon tank and began filling it. I always set a timer on my phone so I continually check the tank as i'm filling it back up. I set the timer and then apparently forgot to start it. Then began browsing weird parts of reddit for a long period of time. Suddenly there is the sudden horrifying sound of water draining from up high onto something. I ran out of my desk to the tank with both my dogs barking their brains off and i'm screaming obscenities at the water falling all over the place. I immediately ran to the sink flipped the syphon to drain the tank and grabbed a bazillion towels from upstairs to clean up. The carpet in the front of my tank was soaked and took about 5 towels to absorb just that portion.

Fortunately most of the water spilled in the front and not the sides or back which are difficult to clean. The water got between the stand and tank, all over my 2 Eheims 2217's, minimal on my power strip and even got on the LED strip. Yes the water got so high that with the way my light sits it made contact with the light. So now there is a box fan sitting in front of my setup and it will probably remain there over night lol.

I'm glad no major damage occured but i'm sure my stand will have some water damage that I simply can't get to. It's between the 75 gallons of water and stand...I don't care enough to drain the entire tank just to dry something that will never be seen :p . Also practically every side of the tank had some sort of water down it in places that are super hard to get to...oooh well.

My 2 Fancies are just fine but they seemed a little weird-ed by the extra high level of water and that they could see the light so vividly lol.

Below is my tank just hanging out and drying out, fortunately everything powered right back up :)
    IMAG1921.jpg
    IMAG1922.jpg
    Wilbur and Gertrude are fine :)
    IMAG1923.jpg

2. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Nightmare scenario! :eek:

Glad there was no major damage, and none that can be seen!

3. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I've done that before, It's a real pain. :(
    At least the fish didn't go spilling out. :)

4. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

That's why all my tanks are NOT on carpet.

5. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Woah! At least that was a re-fill, and not the old tank water. :p

Hope everything dries out okay!

6. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Done that.

7. aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

Hah thanks folks, yeah it was super scary and surprising the amount of water that spilled out. I really hate having carpet below the tank. It would have be horrible if my littles fishies went over the top...I cringe at the thought.

8. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Haha I've done that before!! It was only my 10 gallon tho so it wasn't to bad :p

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app