Time out for aggression?

kra-z-fishmumm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Long story short; I had 6 female mollies, two male, one died, bought another, and he is aggressive toward the other male . I heard you could put the fish in time out???. How long would this be? Oh, and I am down to 4 females.

55 gallon

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi!

2 males with 4 females is a recipie for disaster. Mollies need a 3 female to every male ratio. However, with 2 males and 6 females your tank would quickly become overpopulated. Have you taken this into consideration?

kra-z-fishmumm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yikes

No, I hadn't.The local store said that it would not be a problem to have up to 10 mollies in the 55 gallon plus what i already have!!! 10Danios, 4 cory, 3 sword tails and a Chinese Algae eater.

Any ideas?????

Coryd55

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What hatchet heaven meant is that they will give you fry out the wazoo and if you dont have an extra tank to keep them in they will overpopulate the tank. 6-8 Mollies would be pushing it with what yo already have. I would get 1 male and 3 females or all females like 3-4.

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi!

Ooh! Watch that CAE - he does not belong in a community. He may be peaceful now - but he will get really aggresive soon! Yeah - mollies breed like - like mollies! They are far more prolific than rabbits...

kra-z-fishmumm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay

I didn't mention I have a 2.5 gal. for the mating mollies
And...I bought the CAE at a LFS whose owner said this was the BEST and most FRIENDLY algae eater I would ever find, HA! Then I read that when this dude grows up he won't be so good. I am looking for one of the plecos that I've read about in the forums or a Siamese Algae Eater. Thanks for the input! Keep the info. rolling in.

Coryd55

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should get a L107 bristlenose pleco. They are awesome little fish and one of the top algae eating plecos.

kra-z-fishmumm

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Lfs

doesn't seem to carry anything but pleco's that will get HUGE! The way I'm going, I don't need that. Is it really safe to order fish online? If so have you had any luck with a particular company? Thanks

neverendingninja

Valued Member
Reaction score
Skip plecos, cories, CAEs, SAEs for algae eating. Go with otos. If you get BBA, which is the only reason most people get SAEs, you have bigger problems. You need to address your nutrient levels in that case, and you can wipe BBA out with a H2O2 treatment, or Excel.

I have a bristlenose pleco in my 55 gallon, and he sleeps all night, and rasps the leaves of my plants all night. I know he's not doing it on purpose, but he is highly inefficient when it comes to size vs. work done.

Coryd55

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have 2 BN in my 55 gallon and they are fairly active and dont really mess anything up. It is safe to order fish offline.

liveaquaria is a good place to order fish from. I haven't had a personal experience but I constantly hear good things. Also aquabid is a good site as well. It is an online fish/fish stuff auction site. You bid on something and hope you win it lol. Like a fish ebay.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom