Time For Us To Share Our Success!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JRS, Apr 22, 2017.

1. JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

Recently @Punkin had started a great thread Bad Week For Fishlore Friends and it was/is a great place for us to commiserate with each other and mourn loss, along with @Civanna 's thread
    Is It Lame To Cry Over Dead Fish? (sorry not sure how to link them) I hope it is ok I mentioned you both here.

I was thinking we should now share in out successes together!

I am at the tale end of a month's long ordeal with my 20 gallon tank. Starting with high nitrates, fish loss and illness, we are now on the last dose of meds and all the fish seem to be much better. Along the way I have learned so much and made many fishlore friends.

I stared cycling a QT tank almost a few weeks ago and as of yesterday it is ready for new fish friends! Today we are going to get a few harlequins for the QT, so our lone harlequin will have some buds soon.

2. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Ha! I read the other forum and wanted to cry! :)

I just got my shiny new custom 60g home, I didn't have a panic attack going over every single railroad crossing (because, you know, tanks gonna shatter into a million pieces... yeesh) and it's now on the stand ready to fill. I've got weather loaches, my 8" goldfish, Opaline gourmi, bristlenose, and Raphael striped catfish in there. It's gonna be a "cold water" tank and can't WAIT to get it up!

Heh, I also just moved (hence the new tank) into a VERY nice rental unit (split level) that my parents own and mom's ticked that I'm more excited about the garage and the new tank. :D

3. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Congrats guys!!! :D It's so exciting when it's time for fish @JRS!

I am happy that it's finally time to stop battling nitrates in my tap water. SeaChem order arrived yesterday and I have necessary ingredients to start switching to RO water, yay!

4. OP
    OP
    JRS

Put 5 little harlequins in the QT yesterday and when I woke this morning there still were 5!

20170423_090556.jpg

5. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Ha! Good on you!

Didn't kill any fish moving them to above said 60g and I DONT HAVE PRIME!!! Totally forgot I ran out and everything is closed today.

6. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimpValued MemberMember

I am finally getting my DSM to where I want it. All I got to do is get the hair grass to grow and then fill it!

7. OP
    OP
    JRS

Oh no! At least they are doing well.

8. OP
    OP
    JRS

Forgive me but what is a DSM?

9. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

I am so subscribing to this! Thanks for creating this thread, @JRS !

10. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

I just got a new tank, and it will be my first tank with fish I've never had and lots of plants... I will come back to post here and there when I'm in the process of getting it planted and stocked :)

11. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

Oh! I forgot to add mine! The fins on my rescue betta seem to have almost all healed! :) Huzzah for Rusty!

12. NamtabWell Known MemberMember

A dsm is "dry start method"

13. GlamCrab

GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

Went to the petshop nearest to me at the start of april.. and saw what i now know is a betta coccina in a tiny bowl.

I managed to convince my parents to let me buy it. Got it for an amazing price of 5$ (i still feel that fish was worth more.. because the fish section manager said "i dint pay for it much more then regular betta.. i can leave it to you for 5$")

And now its mostly colored up and happy in my aquarium, it swims alot, eats. Comes over to see me.

I feel this is a success.

Its my ugly duckling. (My family dint find it pretty at first)

IMG_0020.JPG

14. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

I just got one too! Its a 450 litre, im collecting tomorrow, gonna be painting it and sorting out my corner tank ready for sale e1e5a3b80f0fcab61395beb3dfb5a3f1.png my dollars ate gonna love it i got them when i first started and they have been stuck in that corner tank but come sunday they are gonna be flying up and down that 450!

15. OP
    OP
    JRS

I am excited to see. What size tank? What kind of fish or are you still planning?

16. chloep123

chloep123Valued MemberMember

I am very jealous of this tank, it is the exact sort of thing I am looking for! Shame...

I have had a bit of success in actually finally finishing my pond. And, thanks to @CindiL , I am less worried about my little fish :) It sounds like nothing but those goldies deserve the absolute best, I am glad they finally have the space they deserve

17. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

What a great thread! Thank you, @JRS :happy:

My Betta, Philip Seymour Hoffman, is a beautiful Halfmoon. When I first found him at Petsmart I was impressed with how lively and seemingly healthy he was. He had very bright coloring and this very dark edging around his fins and tail. Based on how he acted, I thought this was just a unique marking, so I picked him and brought him home to a 3.5g, cycled tank that I had prepared. Within the first week his dark "edging" started flaking off and I soon realized it was not part of his coloring but fin rot! Here's a picture of him the first week:

fin-rot.jpg

2 weeks later, he was still losing chunks of his tail and I started to get discouraged that he would need more than just a clean water environment, but the one thing I noticed was that the dark egdges were disappearing. Here's a pic of it's progression:

week2.jpg

The thing I noticed, and gave me hope, was that the very tips of the first parts to fall off were clear and white in color. I was told this is new growth! I remained vigilant with making sure his water conditions were perfect and never added any salt or meds through the entire time. It's been over a month now and much of it has started to grow back and he's became even more colorful than I could have imagined! It goes to show you how good water quality in a cycled tank can improve the health of a fish that may have not had the best environment at the pet store. I feel very rewarded for saving him from that tiny plastic cup and I think he's very happy about it too! :D

Here's a more recent picture of Phil (my profile pic):

phil.jpg

Keep up the good work everyone and you will be rewarded!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  18. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

It took me a while to find one for a price im willing to pay as people try selling these for £500 i just looked and looked everyday and that one got posted yesterday and i was straight in there lol its just about being quick and keeping an eye out constantly as the good ones go fast i use shpock and gumtree for buying and selling.

19. APierce

I got a 40 breeder at petco yesterday, I also picked up some black diamond blasting sand (never used it before) and an anubias and an argentine sword. I broke up the sword and separated it into 4 different plants and planted that and the anubias in the tank. I ended up mixing the sand and cleaning it right in the tank instead of in a bucket (good ole' python) and my tank is already clear!

I'm getting cories, never had them before, I'm also going to be getting some sort of gourami I've had dwarf ones before, but it was a long time ago (about 12 years ago maybe?) and they didn't last long ( I "knew" about cycling....but did not understand fully what it meant). I'm still not 100% decided on what other schooling fish I want to get to put in as well... I've had a lot of thoughts about it, suggestions, but I'm still undecided.

Right now there are 3 guppies in the tank, I added a sponge filter that I had in one of my other tanks, I want to keep the cycle going in the tank so that I can add all of my cories at once when I get them (Monday if things go good is what i'm guessing) I'll try to post a pic later on to show where I'm at so far :)

20. APierce

That is a very nice looking tank! I think they will really like it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice