Time For Another Round Of... Sex Those Angels! Question

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by Jenova, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Jenova

Jenova Valued Member Member

So, it's been about 4 months since I got my first baby Philippine blues, and a couple of months since I added a couple of gold/gold marbles to the klatch... and suddenly, I have eggs! :eek: Wasn't quite ready for that!

angelfish_parents.jpg
    The parents are quite attentive, but I'd like to figure out who's the mom and who's the dad ;D Here are the best photos I was able to get of them between last night and today:

pb_ghost_breeding.jpg
    The blue ghost has a definite tube sticking out...

gold_breeding.jpg
    The gold has no visible tube. When I could see its belly from underneath, I can see a pink spot where the tube should be, but it's not sticking out at all.

Trying to judge by their forehead shapes, I'd guess the gold is the male, but I don't know! Opinions are welcome, thanks! :)

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Gold is male and the female is the silver. that tube you are seeing is called an egg laying tube and only found on the females.

3. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Except males have a tube as well?? It is called a breeding tube not an egg laying tube, both fish will exhibit them.
    Don't judge by the foreheads unless it is very pronounced, angelfish are not as sexually dimorphic as other cichlids, so males can look like females and females can look like males.
    The males generally can have a tube out whenever they feel like it, females normally only bear them right before laying to until laying stops.
    The silver is a male, the gold is a female.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

The abdominal profile of the Gold is male. Female has a fairly straight line, while males usually have a sort of notched look at the vent. The tube on the Blue Veil is too large to be a typical male, and I would say it is a female that simply hasn't completely retracted the breeding tube so soon after laying eggs.

I do not see any other significant sexual differences. As noted, the notch in the forehead usually doesn't show until the fish are older and more mature.

Usually the female will spend more time with the eggs than the male, though some Angel pairs will both tend to them together.

5. bizaliz3

bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I am going to say the gold one is the boy. Because the breeding tube on the other does look too large to be a male's tube. The male's tubes are usually just a tiny little pencil tip looking thing. (but I did have a male once who had a BIG FAT tube. It was crazy)

Also, if the eggs were just laid, the female wouldn't have already completely retracted her tube. So I can't imagine the gold would be the female because she wouldn't have already retracted her tube to the point where it isn't even seeable. Typically the females breeding tube sticks out REALLY far right before, during and for a short time after, laying eggs.

I'm going to say gold is the male and silver is the female. But since there are differing opinions, I guess we won't know for sure until next time they spawn! Assuming you catch them in action!!!

That silver veil is gorgeous by the way!! (I'm just describing the color, cuz she isn't a silver angel. I'd guess ghost angel)

6. OP
    OP
    Jenova

Jenova Valued Member Member

Thanks all!
    I know the males have tubes as well, but I wasn't sure which was most likely to be visible or not... and of course there are no guarantees with angels ;D

As far as behavior, I'd say the gold spent a bit more time with the eggs that I saw, but the gold has always had a more forceful personality than the ghost (the gold is also far more aggressive in chasing away tankmates). They were both quite attentive to the eggs, and it seems like whoever Dad was did a great job fertilizing.

Unfortunately, sometime between 7:30 and 11:00 this morning, it appears that the parents ate all the eggs :( I tried to see if they moved them, but I don't see them anywhere, and they aren't "guarding" anymore. I knew there was a definite possibility for things to go awry, since I haven't gotten another tank to put all their co-ed single friends into yet (doing that today!), but I'll be ready next time :) I'd like to see them parenting!

Thanks! She (maybe XD) is a Phillipine blue ghost :) This particular pairing certainly helps my hopes to eventually breed platinums!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice